1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp Toss-up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OxJohnson, Jun 24, 2007.

1. To sit in front of a QSC RMX1450, should I go for a new Hartke VXL pedal, or a used BBE 383 rackmount pre?

They will both cost about the same, so it is really a sound and low noise issue. I read quite a bit about both on here and both seem to get positive reviews.

Any quick thoughts?

Ox.

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    The hartke wont have enough juice to power the amp. You should look more into the box that was designed to do that task, which is the BBE.

3. I've done the pre-power amp thing for about 15 yrs now. The rack mount pre is designed for this. The pedal is designed to go before the pre-amp or in the effects loop. Go with the rack mount pre-amp.

4. Thanks for the responses guys!

Ox.

5. FWIW I think you should throw the Yamaha PB-1 into the "possible" category. They are a great sounding pre if clean is your thing. They have tons of features and they only go for about a hundred bucks these days.

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    +1 on the Yamaha PB-1 very nice solid state preamp.

7. Clean is my thing. Ya' got me there. I just hit up the bay and CL and not a one to be found. :crying:

I really like Yamaha too. My whole home stereo is Yamaha (which I realize doesn't mean squat about a pre) so I know the quality is pretty good. That is a good idea, and I will keep a look out.

The 383's that I was looking at may be no-go's (all 3 of them ?!), so more options are always welcomed.

Thanks guys!
    Ox.

8. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Don't forget the ashlys, sc-40 and bp-41. I've also had good luck with the Carl Martin 3 band pre pedal.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    THe 383 is a pretty grainy pre by today's standards. I would be thinking BMax for a pre on ta budget. They don't pull all that much in the used market. BBE Supports 'em well too. Last one I bought was $175 off the 'Bay. It's a lot of pre for that kind of money. I do wish they had left the x-over in (from the 383) but tonally - it's no contest.

10. We have closure... turns out I did get one of the BBEs that I was looking at. It is used and has some road rash... but appearantly in working order. Time will tell.

For whoever on whatever post talked about "Daves Guitar Shop", thanks. Tim, the bass guy there is extremely helpful. You can find these guys by Googling their name. Luckly for me they ship.

Thanks for all the folks that help on TB. You have made the conversion to bass playing a LOT easier.

Ox.

11. You're gonna have a bazillion choices when it comes to pre-amps. You can spend a few bucks or a ton of money.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1 The Bmax is a good unit, and has some overlapping features with the 383. I realize that you now have a 383, and hope it works out. :cool:

13. Well for now the 383 will be fine, but I will be on the lookout for something a little more... quiet? I realize that it is pretty old, but it also seems pretty finicky. I got a decent sound out of it, but there is quite a bit of background noise... anyone experince that?

Except for the fan noise the RMX 850 is silent and the Avatar cab sounds pretty good so far. I got my active bass and ran it directly to the 850 input and the background noise was gone which leads me to believe that it is the 383. Live and learn.

Ox.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021