1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp tube bad?? Hartke lh500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nogoodwithnames, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hello all.
    First off, I wasnt sure where to put this but hope this works. So here is the story, i have a hartke lh500 head paired with an avatar b210 neo. Lately ive noticed it sounds a little "flat."

Not exactly sure how to describe it, just seems like the speakers are bottoming out or something and have no real thump to them. As far as i can tell there is not a blown speaker, even though it kinda sounds as though there is. Both speakers seem to be doing what they should and theres not a hot smell or anything. And really they have never been pushed hard, i dont gig yet, and theyve never been out of my house so rarely turned up past 3 on the Vol.

Basically i was wondering what would be a sign that the preamp tube in my hartke is on its way out? Ive heard that this a common thing to need replaced, and frankly im hoping thats what it is, but im new to bass and have no experience with this type of thing.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Actually, the preamp tube could last for decades, but it's easy enough to swap it out for a new one. If that doesn't do the trick, try cleaning the fx loop jacks with DeOxit, (NOT WD-40), and after that, find a good amp tech. Good luck.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    A good quality pre-amp tube should last for decades. that said they cost under $10 and changing one is child's play. If that makes no difference then you have other problems to debug.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I see Rick and I are on the same page again! :)

5. Thanks guys. That was kinda what I was thinking anyways, but I didn't realize they were that cheap. Think I'll go ahead and try it just to rule it out. And I always like trying to fix things myself. Haha

6. Just an update on this, I went ahead and replaced my preamp tube with a tung-sol tube, and much to my pleasure this seems to have fixed all my troubles. My lh500 is back to being punchy and sounds better than it ever has.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good deal. Unfortunately, all amp makers who use tubes are at the mercy of tube makers. Some can be great...some not so great. Brand name doesn't seem to have anything to do with it either, since JJ's are so highly regarded but I haven't had much good luck with them.