Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp tube help please, db680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inazone, Apr 10, 2005.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I need to replace the preamp tubes in my aguilar db680, two of them went bad so I thought I would change them all out. It takes three 12AU7 and two 12AX7. The tubes that I have in there now don’t have markings and are all different brands. Does anyone know what tube goes where?

The pre amp looks like this:

Back
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    T T

T

T T

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Front
    T=tube

Thanks for your help.

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The 12AX7s are the first two on the left side - the one closest to the input jack, and the one directly behind it (the middle tube).

Send me a PM with your email address, and I can send you a diagram I received from Aguilar.

JD

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Thanks for the info! I have a show tonight if it doesnt get canceled,

btw, are you enjoying your snow today? We got over a foot and a half and its still snowing. :eyebrow: :meh: :)

pm sent.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What tubes are you planning on throwing in there? I just bought Jim's 680 (thanks!), which are loaded with EH's all the way around, and I still need to find some time to swap some bottles and see which tubes I like best. I did play around with the 12AU7's, swapping in three Amperex Bugle Boys for the EH's. The Bugle Boys are definitely thicker and warmer sounding, but I might prefer the clarity of the EH 12AU7's. I haven't messed with the two 12AX7's, but I'd be surprised if I don't end up with two of my NOS Telefunkens in there! ;)

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Congrats on a great preamp!
    I going to put NOS philips 12AU7 (x3) and tung-sol russian 12AX7 (x2) in there. Ive has a bunch of different tube in there now and then (wich is why I got confused, what tubes go where) and I like a tight solid tone. Between my bass, cabs and the db680 being so flexable, I can dial in a tuby or hifi or both. So these tubes work great for giving me a tight, clear tone to start out with. They are a durable tube as well.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Those are all good tubes. Let me know how you like them!

Tom.

7. The NOS Telefunken Smooth Black Plates are sweet. I have them in my Dem201s.

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have to say that for me these tubes are the perfect match for the db680. Nice deep tone thats a bit bigger when dialed in but is still very tight and clear. Nothing is over done, its just right.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I've been wondering which tubes people prefer in their DB 680's lately, too. I've got the stock tubes in mine yet, and I've heard that the 680 is designed for those generic tubes, but I can't help wondering what it would sound like with some other tubes in it.

Anyone have any suggestions? How much do those Amperex Bugle Boys usually go for?

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Between $18 and $30, depending on condition, etc. If you are interested in them, make sure to get ones that have "Made in Holland" stamped on them.

Tom.