Preamp tube installing/ can I do it myself?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Berten, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Berten

Jun 6, 2002

I have a Hartke 3500 head and I just want to know: is it difficult to replace te preamptube myself? How do I do this? What do I have to pay attention for??
    And how do I choose a tube? Does it really matter? Or is there a lot of difference between brands and types? (anyone knows which type I need for my hartke?). Can I give my amp a more growlier/rockier sound by just changing the preamptube??

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Installing a Preamp tube is easy.
    Just pull and replace.

Different Preamp tubes have different characteristics and varying 'EQ'.
    It depends on your preamps circuit exactly how a tube will present itself.

Do a TB search for Preamp tubes types.
    There's been plenty of stuff on 'em.
  3. Could'nt be easier. Also, just to state the obvious, please make sure the amp is unplugged when you open it up!!:D
    Other than that, pull STRAIGHT out, push STRAIGHT in. Don't force or twist. There's a thread in AMPS about preamp tubes with a lot of good info.
    Hope this helps.
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Don't take on this task lightly. It is generally easy, BUT there is a risk of electrical shock. There is a risk that you will damage your amp. I would never recommend that someone do it themselves if they aren't comfortable with opening up electronic devices.

Forgive me for being a wet blanket, but I never recommend anyone mess around with the insides of their amps if I don't know that they are capable of handling it.
  5. yes, but as stated above if you aren't sure what you are doing ....get a tech to do it for you!

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    One last bit of advice. Use a cloth when handling the tubes. Oil from your skin can cause hot spots on some tubes.
  7. No, it can't. If that were the case, the lettering on them would burn up.
  8. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Thanks a lot for the replies everyone.
    I will do a sure on preamp tubes!!
  9. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    By the way, which type of preamptube do I need in my hartke? I think a 12AX7. Am i right??
  10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    You can use any of these:

And European Designates:

I use a JAN NOS 5751.
    Replace with a quality 12AX7, 7025 (more gain), or 5751 (less gain) and you should be fine.
  11. Hey Berten,

bekijk (site is even down voor onderhoud) eens. Leuk forum uit Nederland (zitten hopen Belgen op ook) met veel informatie over gitaren, versterkers en bassen.
    Er zitten veel gebruikers op met een HA3500 en er zijn een aantal topics over gebruiker van die amp, die een andere preamp tube hebben gestoken en héél goede resultaten hebben gehaald... check it out. Het is een leuke site en ik heb er ondertussen meer dan 1000 posts :)

[just referrin' this guy to a dutch guitarforum site where there's a lot of HA3500 users on that tried out other preamp tubes]
  12. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Look at (site is even down for maintenance) once. Amusing forum from the Netherlands (sit hope Belgians on also) with a lot of information over guitars, amplifiers and basses. It sit many users on with a HA3500 and there are a number topics over user of that amp, that stuck have someone else preamp tube and gotten have héél good results,... verify it out. It is an amusing site and I have there meanwhile more than 1000 posts: -)
  13. very very very very bad translation dude :)
    there was no point in translating it because there's no point in referring english speaking people from this forum to a dutch site...
  14. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Thanks for the info, but I found that forum already!!