Preamp tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joshsmog, May 25, 2004.

1. hey, i just got a new traynor yba200 and the preamp seems to go into overdrive pretty quick. im pretty sure its 2 sovtek 12ax7's and a 12au7 as the splitter whatever that is. is there a tube that wont clip as fast on the gain? thanks.

2. oh and i use a passive p/j bass that has seymour duncan 1/4 pounders in it. the J pickup seems to overdrive the preamp faster than the P but i like the J tone better.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Where do you normally have the gain knob set? Have you tried turning it down?

4. 3 is overdriving it a bit. the only way i dont get any overdriving is when i put the gain at 0 and put the master higher than usual.

I only have this problem with my j pickup.

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Hmmm... those must be some hot pickups. :)

Have you tried plugging into the -6dB input?

6. nope, do you think lowering my j pickup a bit might help?

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    That's worth a try too. Solo each pickup, and if the J is louder than the P then it should probably be lower.

But try plugging into the -6dB input once first and mess with the gain to see if you can find a point where you're loud enough but not distorting the amp. If that doesn't work, go ahead and mess with the pickups. :)

8. the P sounds a bit louder but its farther from the strings than the J.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Weird... maybe the P in your bass is just a much hotter pickup than the J. Try lowering the J anyway... even though it's not as loud, it might still be distorting... maybe. ;)

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Plugging into the -6dB input would definetely help the situation, and make sure you can equalize the volumes between the two pickups by raising and lowering them as you see fit.