Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joshsmog, May 25, 2004.

1. hey, i just got a new traynor yba200 and the preamp seems to go into overdrive pretty quick. im pretty sure its 2 sovtek 12ax7's and a 12au7 as the splitter whatever that is. is there a tube that wont clip as fast on the gain? thanks.

2. oh and i use a passive p/j bass that has seymour duncan 1/4 pounders in it. the J pickup seems to overdrive the preamp faster than the P but i like the J tone better.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Where do you normally have the gain knob set? Have you tried turning it down?

4. 3 is overdriving it a bit. the only way i dont get any overdriving is when i put the gain at 0 and put the master higher than usual.

I only have this problem with my j pickup.

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Hmmm... those must be some hot pickups. :)

Have you tried plugging into the -6dB input?

6. nope, do you think lowering my j pickup a bit might help?

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    That's worth a try too. Solo each pickup, and if the J is louder than the P then it should probably be lower.

But try plugging into the -6dB input once first and mess with the gain to see if you can find a point where you're loud enough but not distorting the amp. If that doesn't work, go ahead and mess with the pickups. :)

8. the P sounds a bit louder but its farther from the strings than the J.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Weird... maybe the P in your bass is just a much hotter pickup than the J. Try lowering the J anyway... even though it's not as loud, it might still be distorting... maybe. ;)

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Plugging into the -6dB input would definetely help the situation, and make sure you can equalize the volumes between the two pickups by raising and lowering them as you see fit.