Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp vs combo vs head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gatogordo, Feb 11, 2013.

1. gatogordo

gatogordo

Sep 3, 2010
    I have been playing electric guitar and bass and church. I have been using the churchs Rolando keyboard/bass amp so far. I have 2 cantatas that I will be playing in where I will be playing with a small orchestra and will be running direct to board. My budget is $300 (I know thats not much). I want to know which route is the best for the money. Buy a combo with a DI, or head with a line out and DI, or a preamp. Looking for a big round sound.

I play an Fender am P-bass > Zoom B1x> Roland combo

I am going to start using my HD500 for effects.

Thanks

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Are looking for a guitar and bass guitar rig in one combo?

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Unless you've got a power amp and cabs or plan on running through the PA all of the time, I'd rule out the preamp.

5. gatogordo

gatogordo

Sep 3, 2010
    I wasn't very clear sorry. I am looking to build a small rig to be able to take to places that is versatile. Not worried about the watts because it will be direct in to board. For $300 what is the best thing to buy. Ex. The small carvin amp for 299 looks like a great di with monitor. Or do l buy a amp head that has a great di and either use ear buds or just use a good preamp and run with my zoom b1x and use ear buds.

Thanks