1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp w/ combo question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uncle Ted, May 10, 2006.

1. Uncle Ted

Uncle Ted

Sep 23, 2005
    Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone knew if my planned rig improvements could work. I play through a Peavey Databass, and would like to get something that sounds better eventually. I am currently thinking that if I spread out my purchases, starting with a new preamp, I might be able to budget a new rig over more time.

Can I just run into a preamp, then into the "preamp in" on the combo, thus bypassing the amps built in pre, or do I need to run it in the effects loop, not bypassing the Peavey pre?

Here is a link to the manual online. It appears to me that the "power amp out" and "preamp in" are intended as an effects loop for rack effects. I'm just a little behind on understanding this stuff.

Thanks,

Ted

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Just plug your bass into the preamp, and then the output of the preamp into the "preamp in" input. That will bypass the preamp of the Peavey (nothing will be plugged into it).

3. Yep, that'll work! And it's a good way to spread purchases for sure. Good luck!

4. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    I run an Alembic F-1X like that to my Peavey Bam 210 w/ Peavey Black Widow 18. Much gospel goodness!

Larry

5. Gr0undZer0

Gr0undZer0

Jul 11, 2006
    First thing I did was added an external speaker jack and I have been running its 15" BW and a 4 ohm STV one 18" bottom on it for 10 years. I am an electronic technician and the mos-fet amp can and does go down to 2 ohms nicely. But I thought I had my best sound untill 3 weeks ago I found a perfect condition Databass amp and I always wanted 2 of them so I stacked one on top of the other and unplugged the 18" so that I just played through both amps. It was just about the best sound I could have ever wanted. It exceeded my expectations. And now I have 900 watts too. I didn't think I could get a better sound but I got a Bugera 15 hard attack speaker ( looks like a hartke) and put it in my original amp. It still sounds great but I have a gig outside in 2 days and that will tell the story. I played outside with the original BW (black Widow)and loved it so now I am going to try the aluminum speaker outside and see if it is as good. I didn't think two 15's could sound so good. So if you guys are lucky enough to own a Peavey Databass and can borrow or buy another, try them both.The sound increases exponentially.:D

6. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    How strange of Peavey to give these connections the wrong names. Surely they mean "Pre-amp OUT" and "Power amp IN", don't they? After all, you'll be plugging the output of your preamp into the input of the Peavey's Power amp. :eyebrow:

7. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Digging around in the archives for an answer to a similar question regarding my Fender Rumble with an external preamp. Espidog has nailed how the effects loop on the Rumble are labeled.

On the Send side the Rumble says Preamp out. On the Return side it says Power Amp In.

As an absolute beginner in signal chain, obviously, I am confused.

Can I plug a preamp into the Send side of the Effects loop that says Preamp Out? TIA