1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp w/power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedalsteeler, Mar 21, 2006.

1. pedalsteeler

pedalsteeler

Mar 20, 2006
    Hi:

I may have posted this message in a different area. If so, I appologize.

However, I have a Peavey 1400X digital stereo power amp and would like to hook a preamp to it. This amp is 700 watts per channel. What type of cost effective preamp would accomodate this power amThanks

2. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    What sound are you aiming for? What style of music do you play? What features are important to you? (E.g., are you looking for a stereo preamp to drive both channels of the amp?) What's your budget? etc.

There are innumerable possiblities, help us narrow it down!

Michael

3. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Man - that's all I play anymore!

I hook my Ampeg SVP Pro to it and it is just wonderful!

But, just about anything else will work.

I would suggest an Ashdown pre or Fender TBP-1.

Then again: Demeter, Sansamp RBI, Kern, BBE, heck...sometimes I just run my Boss GT-6B thru it as the preamp and use one of the models.

4. pedalsteeler

pedalsteeler

Mar 20, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback. I will probably play bass once or twice per week in a country swing/new country band. It's been years since I played bass but I use to play a walking bass style with a Fender P-bass and a Peavey 1-15 combo. It provided the bottom end but lacked the tonal vibe I hear in music today.

I am looking for a warm sound at stage level and will be playing venues of 100 peaople or so. Also, the band is not miked.

I also will use a 2-12 cab and use one side of the Peavey stereo amp. I checked with the tech at Peavey and he said it was OK to plug a speaker in one side of the stereo amp and leave the other output empty. I can also bridge the amp but 1400 watts into a 2-12 cab is a bit much.

5. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    As LoGruvz said, there are many options that would probably work for you. I'd recommend a BBE BMax-T for the style of music you're describing. Very warm and at the same time clear, plus you have a compressor, parametric mid EQ and BBE's Sonic Maximizer built in. I think they are a great value.

Good luck!

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hey and imagine that! All of the above listed units are for sale in the TB classifieds and very good pricing. My Sansamp BDDi will be as well soon if you like.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden Navigato WP100. Big, fat, warm, lots of eq power.

8. Bergerdude

Bergerdude

Jun 7, 2005
    I have an older DPC 750, I always go thru a PA....so I have no need for THAT much power in the 1400x otherwise I would've bought it.

I use an Ashly BP41....good EQ, plus a parametric, and selectable line/instrument levels on every parameter you could think of....even a headphone jack!

BTW, I am selling a buddy's Peavey 1400x DPC...it was just gone over by tech's at Peavey too....let me know if anyone is interested. $1,299 street/new...I think he is hoping to get $750 for it.

Dan

9. seakamp

seakamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Buy my Navigator :cool: :bag:

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    My spare preamp is a Peavey Max - after I got it I sold my Alembic F1-X. The Max can switch between a SS and a tube channel - each with its own type of EQ facilities - and combine them in a mix of your choice. It can do the F1-X sound if a good tube is in it - and others besides.

EDIT: I use it with a DPC-1400X, by the way.