Preamp w/QSC plx 1602

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassjamn, Oct 18, 2004.

1. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Still cant decide what pre-amp i want so please throw me a bone.
    Originally i wanted a Aguilar DB 659 but i've heard of problems with it paired with a QSC and low voltage output.
    The sansamp rbi sounds nice, i may just get that.

Though i wanted a tube pre-amp and looking for one to pair with the QSC.
    Basically want one with Fat, round low end (The darkness of an Aguilar too) With enough EQ versatility to get what i really need.

Bleah, maybe i'll just get the DB 659 anyway...
  2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Try an Ampeg or Kern preamp...until you said dark sounding, I was thinking BBE's not dark, but does have a massive Alembic type low end. Depending on what bass guitar you have, the BBE might still be an option.

I have and love a Demeter VTBP-201S (with the PLX1602), but dark it ain't (without extra EQing).

Good luck.
  3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I've had most of the ones mentioned (Kern, Alembic, Demeter, Aguilar, RBI). The one I kept the longest was an Ashdown RPM-1.

I really liked it, and it had the most flexible EQ section.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yup, that's another one to consider. I tend to forget above Ashdown, but they make some good stuff...RPM-1 included.
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I had a RPM pre and it definitely can get fat and round.

I have the svp-cl and it can get close to that as well and a lot more. I like it as much as my aguilar db680. Good value on the cl.
  6. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You can have the plx's input sensitivity modded to match the aguilar by pretty much any competent amp repair shop. Probably cost about $50 or so.
  7. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I own the 659 and a QSC RMX. The low output really isn't a big deal. If you want super clean sounds out of it you have to keep it low and the definatly doesn't provide enough signal but I like some growl and crank my amp a little more (input at about 11 o'clock and output at 3-4 o'clock) and there's plenty of signal for the QSC.
  8. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I highly recommend having this mod done if you're planning on doing this. The Aguilar isn't alone in having low voltage issues. The reason for that is that the PLX isn't designed as a bass amp. It's designed as a PA amp, and to take voltages which are appropriate for a mixer output. Bass preamp voltages are generally lower and with a lot of preamps you'll find yourself having to put some kind of voltage boosting device in between the two. Having the mod done will save you that trouble.