1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp w/Tube Like Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lburton2, Jul 23, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I'm looking into running a preamp into my newly acquired stewart 1.2 world power amp.. I'd like to get some tube like warmth from the unit, and was hoping to achieve that with a 1U preamp.. I'm not too convinced that a tube-preamp will achieve warmth just based on the fact that it has a 12ax7 in it.. So I'm looking for suggestions..

I've heard some good things about the Alembic preamp, as well as the BBE-t.. But I don't quite know if those are the best route to go or not.. Any suggestions?:hyper:

2. The Monique is getting a lot of love. Not a 1u though.

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The Peavey Max Bass Preamp has two separate input channels. A tube channel and a SS channel. You can run the input channel separate, or combined. It overdrives nicely, and if you'd like, you can overdrive to the extreme, and blend in just the exact amount of clean SS channel to suit your tastes. It also has a built in crossover.

I own one, and it is a winner. They pop up on eBay every now and them at very affordable prices.

4. I use a SansAmp BDDI in front of my SS rig for tube like warmth and I think it is great.
    The 1U rackmount SansAmp RBI sounds like a great choice for your needs. Like the pedal
    version this is a tube emulator (no tubes). What is cool about the RBI is that it has mid control
    unlike the BDDI.

5. The Fender TBP-1 gives a good vintage tube tone at a reasonable price. Although not directly a pre, the REDDI does a good tube tone. I hear one of the Demeter Pre's does a very good job too...

on a budget the BBE tube pre is also supposed to be pretty good

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you're looking for a 12AX7 tube preamp tone, just about the best you'll find is the Kern IP-777. Bonus...it's one rack space.

That said, these days mine is getting dusty because I've been giving a lot of love to Monique. :D

7. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    There is an Alembic F-1X (half F2B w/line out and other stuff) in classifieds. I'd buy it myself but I'm DIYing one.

8. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I was sitting on the toilet.. Which is where i do most of my thinking.. And i was actually contemplating why no one has come up with a preamp section that encorporates tubes the way the Monique does.. This was before I knew the monique existed.. That being said, any idea where I can get one, and how the rack version is compared to the other?

9. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Wait, your saying that you want a pre that has tube sound but you DON'T want tube preamp? Aren't most tube preamps running a 12ax7 in order to achieve that "tube tone" that you're after?
    It's like saying you'd rather eat pork or chicken instead of steak because you're not sure the steak will actually taste like steak.
    I'm just not getting it.

10. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I was looking into the alembic on the classifieds.. But i don't like the reviews on the EQ section.. Apparently there is a lot of give and take considering that it's passive?***

Anyways.. After looking into the Monique.. I'm pretty sure this is EXACTLY WHAT I WANT.. So.. Who wants to give me their rack mount monique?! :D

11. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    +1

I really like overdriving the tube channel with the lows cranked and the mids and highs rolled off then blending that with the clean SS channel.

12. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I don't care whether it has a 12ax7 or not.. I was just stating that just because a preamp may have a 12ax7 doesn't NECESSARILY mean that it sounds warm or tube like..

The reason why I wrote that was to try and filter out anyone suggesting a preamp solely based on the fact that it has a 12ax7 instead of the sound it actually produces.

13. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    Love my Alembic F1-X pre. No problems with the tone stack, but my bass has enough choices if I DID need to compensate (also Alembic).

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Say it isn't so!! Will we see a Kern IP777 listed for sale soon?

15. Sadly it's 2 rack spaces but the Ashdown RPM-1 is a great preamp.

16. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    The Alembic is basically a Fender preamp. The 12AX7s are run with bypassed cathode resistors so it takes advantage of the triode's 3/2 power law plate characteristic (nice tubey distortion). OTOH the Ampeg SVT preamp for example has unbypassed cathode resistors, giving less tubey distortion (don't know about SVPCL).

The Alembic has the often slandered Fender tone stack with much interaction between controls and a mid that cuts only. The Ampeg has a James tone stack and a tunable cut/boost mid control. An Alembic preamp with an SVT style tone stack is where I'm headed.

BTW, the Monique rack mount is for sale on Jule's web site.

17. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    yeah - i saw it on the site.. I just wish one would come up used so I dont have to pay $1000.

18. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    Demeter!!

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Probably not gonna happen used right away, and look for used ones to go for near what new ones go for. At this point there are less than 20 rack mount Moniques in the real world (Jule makes them individually and by hand). The $1K number is a discounted introductory price, and I don't know that we have an actual list price for the unit.

That said, the Monique is awesome. It is well worth the full price. It sounds different from 12AX7's. The 6SL7's have a different character to them than 12AX7's, and the Monique has its own thing going.

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Nope. :bawl:

Nothing wrong with having the BEST 12AX7 preamp ever made and the BEST 6SL7 preamp ever made. :smug:

I love options.