Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp : what, why, which

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by whitehouse, Feb 24, 2002.

1. I am beginning recording stuff...
    have some questions about recording my bass ..

What is a preamp

Why do I (or don't I ) need a preamp

wich preamps are good ?

I have a behringer DI .. is it "bad " to push the knob "-40db" ? or does it throw away some sounds ?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Preamp:

- boosts an (instrument) signal to "line level" (usually 0.775 V IIRC), e.g. from instrument level.

- turns a high impedance signal (e.g. passive bass) into a low impedance signal

- offers EQ (optional)

- offers other FX (very optional)

The -40 dB switch is just a volume pad IIRC that lowers the signal 40 dB.
    It just affects the volume. Leave it off, unless your signal is so loud it distorts.

3. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    I have a Behringer DI too !!

I recorded with it once and I got a great clear tone! My bass teacher has one too and records a lot with it.

It is an active direct box, so I think it acts as a preamp too, and that´s why the bass sound seems cleaner with it. Of course I could be wrong...

4. In studio scenario, an engineer may want to put your signal through a preamp ins input instead of a DI. And some simply use a DI for the reason mentioned by JWC.....or sorry it's JMX:D

Preamp not only boost your signal for better signal to noise ratio, it also warm up your sound. Tube for example. Expecially in digital recording now adays, people tend to use preamp or better quality DIs to warm up your signal in compensation to digital "harshness".

However the main purpose of a DI is impedance conversion.

You really have to choose which preamp you like. Focusrite, HHB(discontinued??), TLaudio etc. Drawmer? It's all depending on your price range.

5. Tech 21 sans amp RBI rack-mount, $299 from americanmusical.com

Clean, plenty of options, great "tube" tone. I both record and play live with mine all the time. I used to have the pedal version, also nice but I like the mid control and control of the XLR out level in the rack version.