Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp wiring question...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by brock29609, Aug 6, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Where do I solder the ground wires from the pickups? My pickups are passive (DiMarzio Ultra Jazz).

[​IMG]

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Somewhere along the path to ground. I generally solder them to the ground path on the blend pot.

3. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks, but I'm kinda dumb when it comes to active electronics. I'm capible of hooking up wires per the chart, but I have no clue where a path to ground would be on an active set up like this. This is my first experince with pramps. Can someone point out specifically where I should attach them?

4. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    The black lines that go to the sleeve of the output jack are all ground wires.

5. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks. One more question. Normally the volume pot casing would be grounded, but that doesn't seem to be the case in the diagram above, which means my control plate (Jazz bass) won't be grounded. My jack is side-mounted, so it would not come in contact with the plate either. Would it be OK to bend one of the outer pot connectors back against the VOL pot so it connects with the pot case (and thus the plate)?

6. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Some people do it that way. Just make sure you bend the right one. ;)

7. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Use shielding paint or foil to shield the routes. Connect all the earth wires to one point - the jack sleeve is the best. Use shielded wires from the pickups. Doing all this will help keep the circuit quiet.

8. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The cavity comes fully shielded stock on my Deluxe USA Jazz. I just want to make sure I know where to put the ground wires from my pickups, and that my jazz control plate is connected to ground. The plate does not come in contact with the cavity shielding because the shield is under the finish.