Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp Wiring - SAADI and MDB-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Smithberger, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I am using a Tech 21 ADI as my preamp and direct box for a church gig I play. In my search to add a little push and increase my flexibility, I bought a Raven Labs MDB-1. I was thinking that I may be able to use it alone (not quite) or with the Sansamp in the effects loop.

The first attempt worked OK with the Sansamp in the effects loop running on battery and the DI taken from the Raven Labs unit. However, I had been running the Sansamp on phantom power from the board (no batteries) and thought that I could just take the DI from the Sansamp in the effects loop - wrong. The Raven labs started smoking. It seems to be OK but I really don't want to blow anything up.

I guess I am looking for advice as to the optimium setup here. I am running active basses and sometimes a double bass with a pickup. The preamp(s) run into a small Stewart power amp and a 2x10. The Raven and the Stewart are in 2sp rack. The Sansamp is my primary tone shaping for the double bass and room adjustment for the electrics. I want to plug into the Raven mixer first. Can I run the Sansamp on phantom power behind the MDB or is it going to fry? Is there enough reason to use the effects loop to justify the battery hassle?

I am somewhat electronically challenged, so any help is appreciated.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if i was doing that, i'd run the line out from the MDB into the sansamp and take all signal from the sansamp instead of sending it back via the effects loop.

3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Do you think the phantom power thing will work OK if it's not going back into the return? I really don't understand what happened there.