1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamp Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, May 8, 2006.

1. Would it be possible to wire the Pickup Blend knob into a Push/Pull that would coil tap two Dual Coil pups at once?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sure it's possible...if someone makes a control like that and your bass' wiring compartment is deep enough to accomodate a control that is likely to be very, very tall...

If no commercially produced controls like that exist, some one with a machine shop could fabricate a shaft so that you could assemble the desired pot from two other pots (a blend control and a push/pull pot).

3. Well, the hope was to limit the preamp to 4 knobs and no switches (Jazz stlye control plate), but I figure it would probably just be easier (and cheaper) to use to mini-toggles to do the tapping and set them outside the control plate or get a custom plate made. Thanks for the reply though!:D :bassist:

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I understand... The coil tap doesn't HAVE to be on the blend pot does it? It could be on another one if the pot's value was such that a similar potentiometer with push/pull DPDT switch was available...

Something to think about.

5. Well, I'm setting it up this way (before I decided to change to switches):

Master Volume with Push/Pull for Active/Passive
    Pickup Blend with Push/Pull for Coil Tap
    Mids with Push/Pull for Mid Freq.
    Bass/Treble Stack

Now, this is how it will work:

Master Volume with Push/Pull for Active/Passive
    Pickup Blend/Passive Tone Stack
    Mids with Push/Pull for Mid Freq.
    Bass/Treble Stack
    Mini-Toggle Switches for each Pup for coil tapping

6. can you tap a single coil (in assuming you are using J style pups?). its just a thought.

7. I'm not using singles, I'm gonna use Nordstrand Dual Coils, but I'm gonna use a jazz bass body style and control layout.

8. ok i was just confused, they sound nice. toggles sound the easier way to go.