1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp with Aux in and Headphone out.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CameronJohnson, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Hey folks,

I'm currently on the lookout for a decent preamp pedal with aux input and headphone output, as well as the usual DI out etc.

So far I'm aware of:
    GK Plex (awkward top panel positioning of the minijacks and DI)
    Ampeg SCR-DI (wider than I'd like)
    Eden Module (also far too big)
    Palmer Pocket Bass (again, strange jack positioning)
    and, slightly left field, the Omnicabsim Deluxe...which seems impossible to get hold of in the UK.

Can anyone think of any others I may have missed?

2. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    EMoneySC2 likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Man, the Plex ticks all your boxes. Get that and a 90 degree XLR cable and you are all set.

4. I know, on paper it does tick my boxes. I even have a 90 degree XLR cable already but i don't want to be forced to use 90 degree Aux cables and headphone cables all the time. I may end up going for the Omnicabsim...although there's a builder out here in the UK called Dave Hall who has just released a valve preamp called VT1-Pro. Looks juicy and ticks all my boxes...it's a strong contender.

Here's a link:
    VT1-Pro-Bass-Drive

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Uh, that looks like a sexy little box. Let us know if you get it! That would be a handy thing to have!

6. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I know the form factor doesn't work for you but I've got an SCR-DI and one feature it has that the others may not (I haven't looked at the others closely) is an AUX Level knob. Really comes in handy in getting the right headphone mix between bass and Aux input. I'm using that knob so much that any future preamp I buy will have to have it.

kodiakblair likes this.
  7. Will do. It's looking more and more likely that I'll go in that direction. I've got zero experience of valves/tubes so this could be a nice intro to that world. It's very reasonably priced too. He ships internationally so you guys don't have to miss out!

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I noticed that. Somewhere between $225-$250 depending on the currency conversion you use. That's really not bad at all if it sounds good and he uses good parts....and it's not noisy.

9. A load of folks over at Basschat.co.uk have put orders in (there was a 20% off introductory deal that I just missed out on) so I'll hold fire until the first few orders are received and they start sharing their thoughts. Dave seems to have a ton of experience making these custom preamps though so I'd be very surprised if the quality wasn't excellent.

10. I do like the Aux level knob but if I had the choice I'd rather have a headphone level knob and adjust the Aux level at source, from my phone/tablet etc.

Does the "volume" knob on the SCR-DI double as the level control for the headphone out too? And when plugging headphones in does the main out get muted?

11. Berme likes this.
  12. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Yes, the volume knob controls the overall volume in the headphones so you can increase the overall volume (which includes the AUX input) and then decrease the AUX to taste (or vice versa). I tend to max out the volume on my source (which is usually my tablet) and then adjust the AUX volume on the SCR-DI.

Plugging into the headphone jack does not mute the the main out. I actually leave my headphones plugged in to the SCR-DI full time and can still play through my amp/cab setup without having to unplug the headphones.

CameronJohnson likes this.
  13. That's useful to know. Would have been better to have a separate independent level control for the headphones though, no? So you don't have to constantly adjust that knob depending on whether you're playing amplified or through cans...

I've just asked Dave Hall about the behaviour of the headphone amp/Aux input on the VT1 Pro, so hopefully will have an answer shortly!

14. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Sure, I wouldn't complain about having a dedicated headphone volume but to be honest, its pretty simple to adjust the volume knob back and forth between headphones and amp. I generally know where to set the volume for my amp and when using phones, it depends more on my AUX source so its more variable. But in either case, I can always quickly (I mean, literally within a few seconds) get the mix right. For me, the dedicated AUX Input volume is the key to getting a balanced mix.

Its funny because when I bought it, the AUX volume was the thing I cared least about but it turns out to be something I now must have.

15. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I use the 3Leaf Enabler for what you're describing. It's discontinued, but they pop up used here every now and then.

I've also heard good things about the EBS MicroBass, but I've never used one myself.
    EBS MicroBass II Preamp/DI-box

Zbysek, bench, blindrabbit and 3 others like this.
  16. Ashdown original preamp
    Zoom b3

BrentSimons likes this.
  17. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    Definitely look for the 3Leaf Enabler. It's exactly what you're looking for.

18. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Another vote for the 3Leaf Enabler. I owned for a couple years (bought it new) and thought it was the best headphone amp I had ever used until then. I got a PJB Bighead afterward and just appreciate the convenience and size of it over the Enabler, but both are absolutely top quality.

I'll add, though, that the Plex is not all that awkward as you expect it to be. It's a quiet headphone amp with enough of power to push 60-80Ohm headphones, and has tons of added functionality; it might be worth considering.

19. A 3Leaf Enabler is perfect but finding one on this side of the pond is basically impossible, especially now they're discontinued.

I actually use and love a PJB Bighead already but really want something in pedal form that can sit neatly on my pedalboard.

The Plex isn't entirely out of the running but it certainly isn't at the top of my most wanted list right now. Still, I'd like to try one...

Ricky Caboverde likes this.
  20. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    ebozzz and nbsipics like this.