Preamp with no EQ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Dec 11, 2003.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    (if this needs to go elsewhere, feel free to move it)

Has anyone seen a bass that used a preamp, but no active eq. I was thinking about this option. I really don't care to have active eq on the bass. I would like the option of a switchable preamp (like the Bartolini TC3 and the like). Anyone do this or know of it being done?
  2. I thought the guy from blink 182 his signature only has a volume knob. The nikki six signature blackbird Gibson bass (thunderbird model) only has an on/of switch. If that is what you mean
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    not quite. I am talking about having a volume/blend or volume/volume with an preamp (no eq, only signal boost) with a switch in between.
  4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Lanepoor had a preamp that was a boost eq only with no treb, mid or bass.

Also Jens Ritter has one in this fretless. Not sure if it is something Jens offers very often, but it is a Boost eq setting as well. He has added a master tone to it, buts its basically as you described.
  5. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    that looks like it. It sort of started when I saw the warwick dolphin SN and I liked the look of a 2 knob setup.

I was thinking using combination pots volume w/ coil tap and volume w/ preamp bypass

just a thought. I can adjust the eq at my amp or use a really nifty (and inexpensive) eq like the fish n chips 7band.
  6. Bartolini has just a boost preamp you can install in your bass...the Bart TC5.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you like the two knob look, why not get two stacked pots? Then you can have an EQ/tone section, and still have a clean two-knob approach?
  8. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Call the guy who runs He makes an onboard 9 volt boost-only preamp that KILLS. I had one in a passive F Bass that made the signal sound EXACTLY the same as in passive mode, only hotter. Less than 100 bucks.
  9. John East, manufacturer of the popular J-Retro preamps, is making a stacked-knob, 2 band preamp for Jazzes and Precisions that go in the place of the tone knob...
  10. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I believe EMG makes one of these, also. The tone will probably change due to the impedance change (from high to low), and you'll hear more high-end + low-end overall. And it will likely sound louder, as well. In general, more of an 'active' sound... cuz that's what it is!
  11. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I've often wondered why there's no active device to plug between bass jack and cable. Something like adapter and active DI. No EQ, just clean signal boost.

I like passive electronics but I don't like long cables degrading the signal.
  12. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    If you use active pickups without an on board pre-amp, that is exactly what you have.
  13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Early Pedullas used early Bartolini pres in this way. See this thread if you're interested.
  14. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    thats what i was thinking, I did that with my tobias, before i installed the preamp. sounded good.
  15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The old US made BC Riches had gain only preamps.

Back in the 80s I had an after market pre installed in a Peavey T-40 that was gain only.

EMG pickups have gain only preamps built into them. Their P or J pickup kits come prewired with a passive EQ.

I personally have no need for multiband EQ at the bass, a simple passive tone setup works well for me.
  16. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    sort of the idea, just clean signal boost (no eq)
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

<b>There used to be one for guitar, it was part of a series of EFX that plugged right into the instrument jack. Considering it needed a battery, it was heavy and prone to falling out of the jack. There was also a series that had a belt clip, so you could use a really short cable off your instrument. Once you insert the preamp, you don't have passive electronics downstream anymore; maybe you just like the loss of "X amount" of cable before the pre?</b>
  18. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    others I talk to don't see the point in a preamp without an eq. Am I crazy for considering this idea?
  19. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    No, you're not crazy. I have a bass with the exact set-up that you're describing. The preamp that you want to look for is the Lane Poor 2.1 preamp. It may be hard to find these days, but it's a sweet preamp. Basiclly, it opperates the same as a Vol/Tone configuration, but it boosts the overal output of the bass without having seperate eq knobs. It's like having the best of both worlds; you get the benefits of the boost/output gain and you retain the simplicity of the tone knob.
  20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    No. As has been said, the pre in the bass not only boosts the signal; it buffers, or isolates, the pickups from the rest of the signal chain. Remember, your signal gets boosted eventually (your pickups do not directly drive your speakers!), so you're not doing something "unholy" here. But doing this buffering you largely eliminate treble-robbing effects of your cable.