Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Hi all. I'm looking for a preamp for my bass to smooth out the sound just a bit. I need a crossover and preferably an effects loop. Right now I just run straight through a Peavey bass-fex and I can actually get a pretty good sound out of it, but I'm looking for just a little more tone control. I don't need the biggest and the best, just a good economical option. Since I have no money I'm looking for something used for around $100. I've heard some good things about the Yamaha pb-1 and the Peavey Max. I've even thought about trying a Sansamp box. Does anyone have any thoughts on these or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance,
  2. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Ya, those are both good selections for what you're looking at. Check out some places like (biggest online auction site), (Huge used gear music dealer), and (biggest online pawn shop) for really good deals on the used stuff.
    Personally, the only one I've used out of that bunch is the Peavey Max, and it was great for tonal shaping. Lots of good features. I've heard good things about the pb-1 and the sansamp though too. I've heard that the sansamp can be not as reliable sometimes though. Also, sense you've already got an amp with a built in pre-amp, you might consider just getting an EQ-pedal. These are a great way to mess with the eq of the sounds a lot and they're a lot cheaper than a pre-amp. Just a though. Try to find some place and try out what you're looking at. If you try it out and like it then it's a lot harder to go wrong :)
    Good luck!!
  3. I drive my Bassfex with a Peavey Probass 1000 or a TB Rax these are older Peavey preamps that work good and sell cheap used. The Probass has many outputs and will drive many things. the TB Rax is a tube preamp that with no effects loop and just a high and low level output that was in great favor with touring country players. It helps to get those Jaco sounds with fretless.