Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by warwickben, Oct 23, 2003.

1. i wanna swicth all my pickups in my jazz bass to emg and have a 3 band preamp(not sure what preamp). my problem is i added a p pickup in the middle,so right now i have my bass set up volume volume then a stacked knob with volume and tone. iam not sure if i can do wat i want, i want 3 stacked knobs.

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    J-Retro

[​IMG]

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hmmmm, interesting project. Unfortunately the J retro is designed for a two pickup instrument.

If you used an EMG BTS and rounded up some concentric pots you'd be most of the way there. The mid frequency module has a concentric pot for mids and center frequency so you couldn't stack another volume on it.

I suppose that you could use another brand of preamp...Aguilar for one. I don't remember what value pots the Aguilar preamps need for tone controls...if they're low (25K or 50K) you could probably purchase concentric pots from EMG and have V/Bass, V/Middle and V/Treble.

This delightfully complicated wiring scheme sounds like something that I'd think of:D

Please keep us posted on your progress...

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    It can be done on a custom order basis. Here's a J/P/J Dolan Bass with a custom U-Retro.

[​IMG]

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Fair enough...

Hey Warwickben, are you limited to only three controls or can you use four and mount the jack on the side?

6. iam going, to get the emg preamp thats mid bass and treble, the mid is a stack and the bass and treble in on the same. here my new ? now,can u use a stack knob for two volumes or do i have to get a certin type. and can i even wire it up with the emg preap (like would it work).

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I thought you need to control the volume of three pickups?

Anyway, EMG sells a stacked dual volume control... Go to www.emginc.com, get to the price list and it's there with the other potentiomenters. It's about $12 retail and the plastic knob will cost you twice as much...

FWIW, www.guitarelectronics.com has a nice, reasonably priced assortment of metal stack knobs for EMG concentric pots. I think they're about $12 for a stacked set in either gold, chrome or black. Their prices are much cheaper than www.allparts.com.

Have fun!!!!