Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phunkjam, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Hey all,
    I was on ebay the other day looking around for an amp, and I ran across the ampeg SVP-Pro. I guess it's not an amp, but a pre-amp? Can somebody clarify what exactly is a difference between a preamp and an actual amp? Thanks.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. Oysterman that is really good reading even if you already know.....I got through the first sentence, then I printed it out the rest and headed to my office.....if you know where I mean..

5. Thanks, it was a helpful article. Do you need a pre-amp if you just buy head?

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Head = preamp + poweramp in one unit.
    So the answer's gotta be no. :)

7. Alright, thanks a lot. I can sleep now.

8. You probably already knew this, but if you don't get a head, just a preamp, you need a power amp also to boost the signal so you can hear it.

9. Pre amp + power amp gives you more flexibility. You can upsize or down size your rig by just changing the power amp. You can update your rig by just changing the pre amp. the whole thing fits it a rack case and becomes a one piece head. And once you rackmount you can add all kinds of goodies to the rig. One of the good ways to go.

10. Yeah, seeing as I'm pretty tight on money, I think I'll just get a basic cab and a good head. Then start upgrading. I'll just be glad of getting more sound than my 20 watt peavey.