Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FooBass, Feb 22, 2005.

1. FooBass

FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    what is a good preamp I can get that will work well with a 100w amp and gives out a good punchy funk sound?

2. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    It'd be helpful if you laid out a little more about what you want, or what you think a good funk sound is. Do you ean a tight, modern, bright, cut midrange marcus miller slap sound? A grindy fieldy detuned kind of slap sound? Larry Graham old school funk? The James Brown band? all these have different sounds. do you want simple, or complicated? What's your budget?

You could just buy a sansamp bass driver DI--it works as a preamp, and also as a direct input for the PA, and it's under 200 bucks.

Or you could buy a Read preamp at 1000 bucks

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    If you are going for verstile and inexpensive set up: SansAmp RBI + carvin pwramp (check the catalog).... If I was You I would shoot for a tad bit more than 100 watts.

What kind of settings are you playing in?

4. FooBass

FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    I am looking for a sound similar to flea's i dont know if that is possible cause i dont have much to spend my budjet it from 200-300$

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Balzary is a GK player, My suggestion is get a GK then. Unless you get a heavily used and beat up one on eBay or at a pawn shop, you ain't gonna get that tone with $300 IM'h'O. Unless you look to a pedal or modelling pre in your chain of effects.

What wrong with saving the chee$e and wait till you have $500 to spend (more options for you)... Are you currently being heard over the drummer?