Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benjamintowle, May 17, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    my preamp just broke.i need help i need a cheap but good preamp any help is good help.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Look on ebay. There are always quite a few of them for sale on there, some usually going pretty darn cheap.

I have seen several decent ones selling from about $100 on up. The Ampegs and SWRs and the like usually go for quite a bit more, but that is to be expected from the higher end companies.

Ryan

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    While your grammar has improved, the wording of your posts have not;)

When asking a question such as this, give us some idea of what you want, i.e. prices, brands you like, brands you want to avoid, what your previous preamp was, etc. It helps us give much better and more concise answers.

4. Check out music-go-round online. I believe you can order items from stores across the country. I've seen the Ampeg SVP preamp go as low as $130! Otherwise ebay is a good solution too.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I still don't know why his preamp just "broke". They tend not to just "break".

6. And if it is "broke", it wont cost much for an electronics tech to fix it. The majority of amp repairs are usually very simple, and may only cost $25-60 to repair.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I kinda wondered about the same things that were just stated in the above two posts. But, since he wanted to know where to get preamps cheap, I figured ebay would be a good bet for him.

Benjamintowle, is there any chance you can take your "broken" preamp to a tech and at least see what it'll take to fix it?? Just an idea, but I bet it would save you some dollars.

Ryan

8. Maybe you should respond to the people that are trying to help you, then you'll start to get somewhere.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I hope you weren't implying that we aren't trying to help.