Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, May 30, 2001.

1. I have been looking into buying a preamp lately, because my bass is Passive, and I like the sound of an active, but not all the time. I have been looking at the Sadowsky foot preamp that has a bypass switch which I think would be very nice. I love the tone of a passive, but sometimes want that bass and treble boost that an active can supply. Also if anyone knows another good Preamp company besides Sadowsky, I would like to know what they are. None of the big amp companies make preamps.

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    SansAmp,Aguilar, Sadowsky, Fodera, & Raven all have some pretty good sounding outboard preamps. How much do you want to spend? The outboard units are nice if you have multiple basses and don't want to install onboard units on all of them.

3. I am truthfully only willing to spend around 200 dollars for one. If you cant get one for around there, then i truthfully dont mind.

4. rayengle

rayengle

Mar 10, 2001
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I just picked up the SansAmp Bass Driver DI at my local music store for $170. Add the AC adaptor & it's still under $200. It's possible to dial-in all sorts of tube sounds from fat & warm to overdriven. The tone controls are treble & bass with fixed mids, (treble &/or bass boost = mid cut & vice-versa). All in all, an excellent investment.

- Ray

5. The Sadowsky is incredible! It will blow you away. Best thing that can be done to a passive bass...IMHO.

6. xHarperx

xHarperx

May 8, 2001
    hey what are you talking about no big companies make pre amp's ampeg makes them but there rack mounts

7. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    He's talking about "preamps other than rack-mount preamps". Specifically, the little boxes made by Raven Labs, Sadowsky, Aguilar, Sansamp, Fodera, etc. These little boxes go between the bass and the head or preamp, and add a little active EQ to an otherwise passive bass.

They are great when you don't want to modify your passive bass by putting in an active preamp. Likewise, you can use them with all of your passive basses, if you have more than one.

Nightbass

8. Actually I have never thought of putting in an active circuit into my bass. My only problem is I dont want to jeopardize the value of my bass. It is a Fender Jazz Bass, and its an anniversary edition, which I am told makes it worth more, but I truthfully do not know. Would changing the circuitry inside of it be worth it? or would it end up costing me more than it is worth?

9. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    How old is it?