Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, Feb 23, 2002.

1. I'm fairly new to anything beyond the realms of the combo amp world, and I'd like to start expanding. For starters, what is a preamp, and should I get one when I buy my rig?

2. It depends on what type of rig you are thinking of getting.

A pre-amp is just like it sounds. It amplifies the signal from your bass prior to the power amp stage.

If you are buying a bass head, they already have a pre-amp stage in them.

You would need a pre-amp if you are looking to go modular ie: rack mount power amp.

3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    preamps process the signal coming from the strings/pickups - this signal processing can be a graphic equalizer or parametric equalizer to cut and boost frequencies, or, also things like a compressor, limiter, or noise gates - also a chorus pedal etc. and etc. are all various ways to process the signal before then being amplified and sent out to the speakers - and whether you need/want any signal processing will probably increase the more you play and want to experiment, especially shaping the signal frequencies with an EQ