1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamping the Martin B-1?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Folmeister, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am starting to use my Martin B-1 ABG more and more. It has the pickup. The output of the pickup is very weak. What would be the best external preamp for it? I have Sansamp BDDI. Is the Fishman a good unit? What do other people use?

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I use the Fishman Pro EQ Platnium bass preamp with a Martin. It brings out some nice, usable tone and can help get rid of feedback. The bottom end is easy to tighten up and it makes the ABG sound better in a rock band situation because it cuts through and carries better. I don't use the Martin very often, but it sounded great when I did. The Fishman also has a quick set-up guide printed on the bottom which helps if you don't have the manual with you.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I run my Tacoma into an ART Tube Channel mic pre. Gain, Compression, 4 band semi-para EQ. works great. The Tac'y has a Fishman Prefix + preamp built in. Lot's of bells & whistles but it can't make up for the sound of piezo pup's. The ART helps a lot.