1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamp's affect on sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Johnboch, May 12, 2010.

1. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    How much will a preamp affect the sound of my bass? I was going to get a mike pope put in a custom bass at the end of the summer, but I want to know why it is worth it to shell out 400 bucks before I save up the extra money.

2. It depends on how transparent the preamp is.

Did you want a preamp that will not color the sound, or one that adds it's own flavor to the pickups?

3. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Most preamps are supposed to sound 'flat' (not dull, flat means "the sound of the bass comes through unaltered") when set to a normal basic setting, then they give various boosts and cuts according to how you set any further controls.

From your question, I'm guessing that you'll do better to save your money for now and just use a simple preamp (if the pickups need it) or none at all, and use your amp's equaliser to modify the bass's sound.

4. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    I'm trying to get close to a fodera monarch sound. Foderas use pope pre's but idk if there's a cheaper substitute.