Preamps and combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shumph, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    Is it possible to hook up a pre amp to a combo?
    Specificaly an svtpro to a swr workingmans 12?
    any pros or cons?
    Thanks for answering newbie questions

2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    That would be the SVP-PRO preamp, wouldn't it? Yes, it's possible if the combo has a "power amp in" jack or similar. I also think that it could be inserted into the "effect return" part of the effects loop, if the combo has that (although I'm not 100% sure of that...).

If the combo doesn't have any of those jacks, then the answer is no.

Pros and cons? Well, if you want the Ampeg preamp, I guess that's a pro. Cons are you're still stuck with the weak power amp and speaker of the combo. No big Ampeg sound coming out of that one. ;)
  3. Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    Yes thats the one I meant.

Bassicly I am trying to upgrade my equipment a little at a time. I am also trying to get stuff I can use now. that way I can experiment a little too.

All recomendations considered.

4. Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    So by the lack of response I am asuming this is a bad idea.
  5. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA

I used a Yamaha PB-1 preamp with an old Peavey Amp for years. I plugged directly into the pre amp and plugged the preamp out in to the input of the Peavey bass amp. Man am I glad those days are gone. You might want to try it out at your local music store before buying anything.
  6. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey i have an svp pro and i love it.. i'm playing it through an SWR cab too. My meager suggestion would be to get more speakers before replacing your preamp or poweramp. It seems that you'd have more to gain by doing that first, and your SWR head now is pretty nice..
    just what i'm thinking.. goodluck either way