1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamps....Bart, Aguilar, or other?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mmbongo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What is generally considered the better preamp, Bart or Aguilar?

Both have one that has all the features I'm looking for:
    -3 band
    -active/passive
    -mid frequency selector

And both are priced about $150 new. So is one considered better than the other? Or is there another one I should be looking at?

I'm leaning towards Bart because they provide all the pots and it's prewired. Wiring is not an issue at all, but I don't mind having it already done plus I won't have to buy pots.

This will be for a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V. Yeah I know the preamp costs almost as much as the bass itself :)

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I dont think one is better then the other. Just a little diff sound wise and the barts tend to be lower output. The main thing besides buying qaulity imo is picking preamp whose tone centers are most useful to you. For sweepable or selectable mids and treble. In a few cases the bass controls center will also be different. If you can decide what freq centers will serve you best (sweepable mids not so much an issue as switch selected ones) then you have the main info needed for picking your preamp of choice. In my research I only found two brands that satisfied what I wanted. Basslines & EMG. Basslines won for 2band and EMG won for 3band. Based on freqs wanted and models offered. Seymour Duncan (they own basslines) offers a 3band but its circuit board is huge. Hard to fit to impossible to fit in small control cavities. The brands I researched when deciding what to get to make my passive bass active where Aquilar, Bart, Basslines, EMG, Glock, & Seymour.

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    Audere Z3

4. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'm actually looking into EMG as well. I can save about $75 going that route, and will gain sweepable mids (instead of just a switch). I'll lose active/passive switching though.

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'm sure those are nice, but I just can't see putting a $220 preamp in a $300 bass :)