Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamps,Demeter VTBP-201s vs Demeter HBP-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maestro4Bass, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Demeter VTBP-201S

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Demeter HBP-1

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    I was able to play with the VTBP-201S and loved it. I've only been able to checkout the HPB-1 online and if it's the exact same preamp (sounding the same) plus a parametric EQ that I can switch on & off, I'll go for it. However, I've heard some say that the 2 differ in sound without adding in parametric eq. I'll be using this preamp with a Crest CA9. Any opions from anyone who's been able to physically compare the 2 would be highly appreciated. THANX

2. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
  3. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    Thanx Daytona, I missed that one

4. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    No problem, that's what we're here for. It sounds like the 201 is the favorite one. Good luck.

5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    The 201 and HBP-1 are within a stones throw of one another when it comes to the difference in sound. You could get either preamp to sound like the other one with a tad bit of eq'ing. I have the HBP-1 and I love it. The parametric adds a lot to the fattness of the sound and is always when I play. The parametric also is a great tool to help eq out nasty freq's when you get in a boomy or thin sounding room. Spend the extra cash and go with the HBP-1. Talk to Gard at Bass Central or PM him, he should be able to stear you in the right direction. If you do not know Gard, he is a member on the forum and works at Bass Central. Bass Central is where I bought mine. They sold it to me for 699.00. They paid for shipping.

6. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    Thanks Bassplayers. I think I'm gonna have to go with the HBP-1. The flexible parametric eq seem to be the key issue for me. I'm always playing/fighting rooms with poor acoustics.

7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I dont know much about your MTD's preamp. But I am assuming that it is more than capable of significantly shaping the freq's on your bass. So with a good bass, there should not be any reason why you should not be able to make an HBP sound like a 201. I think you made the right decision.

8. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    Yes with my Mtd's, Demeter, crest, and epifani cabs. This should deliver everything I'll need.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice!

add in a cool SIB Fat Drive into the effects loops, and you'd have all the FAT tube lovin' you could want. ;)

10. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    O.K. What's a SIB fat drive?

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  12. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    Thanx for the info

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    np, flex

i mentioned this in the Bass Tasters' Preamp thread, but if you think about it, with the HBP + the Fatdrive, you'd have a parametrically tubey butt system at half the cost of the Aguilar DB680!

all that tube lovin', without spending nearly as much dough. sounds like win/win to me.

14. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    Looks like I'll have to wait until my next trip to the Big Apple to check it...Thanx again

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Joker,
    on your recommendation I decided to check one of these out. Got it from musictoyz, was playing with it this morning. Very interesting, very cool. Adds a very mild compression, fattens the bottom end even with all settings flat. The EQ is relatively mild, I think it would work best if you "set and forget" a sound you like.

It warms up already tubey sounds, and I'm sure it would be a big help playing the clubs round NYC where you have a house rig i.e. usually a solid state peavey. Nothing wrong with Peavey's, but I wouldn't describe the sound as warm. This should be a big help for that.

16. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What is the street price on those SIB´s?
    Seems like a great little box.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    er...a...bump:cool:

18. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Musictoyz has them for $270.

19. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. So that would be like $420 including shipping and VAT.:bawl:

How do you think the ART´s tube mic preamps would match up to the SIB?

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool~!

but, sorry for helping in a little GAS.

btw, i heard Budda has a bass tube overdriver, and ToneBone recently added the BassBone to their lines. wonder how they fare... hmm... trip to 30th st. anyone? ;)

jock,

i guess the ART would add a nice feel, but IMHO, its more for transparent clean sounds for the studio, so i dunno how it'd fare.