Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamp's effect on sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I was wondering how much of an impact you people with separate pre/poweramp setups would say your preamp has on your sound. A lot of us are simply looking for something that will deliver the pure, uncolored sound of the bass to a poweramp. Most commonly used preamps seem to be able to do this pretty well. Other people look for features such as a powerful EQ, crossover, overdrive, etc. But do you think your preamp's basic voicing (without EQ and such) "adds" anything to the sound of your bass, without changing it fundamentally?

I'm trying to determine whether I'd benefit more by upgrading to a higher-end bass (my best current one is a Yamaha RBX765A,) or a higher-end preamp (mine is a yamaha pb-1.) The bass seems to have a pretty good direct sound, though it may be a bit "sterile" sounding and it doesn't cut through a recorded mix easily. The PB-1 is a bit fickle, with an input that wasn't meant to handle active basses, and crossover outputs that don't seem to work properly.

I've been GASing for both for a long time, but eventually I've gotta decide whether to buy a bass or a pre first.