1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Preamps for fly ins.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tggorgon, Mar 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tggorgon

tggorgon

Jan 11, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I mostly just do fly ins for gigs, and so I am at the mercy of whatever they give me for a bass amp. My backline rider always says an SVT classic and an 810, since they are most readily available, but not always what I get. So I was looking into a few Microamps that I could just take with me everywhere..... not sure which would work for what I'm looking for. Then it hit me....what if I go the preamp route, ala a sansamp, SVT, or a Darkglass....then all I have to rely on, hopefully, is just using the power from the amp and I'll always have MY sound everywhere I go....Right??
    Hope this is sound thinking.
    Any thoughts on Pre amps?? I know... not much about them, and there's so many different kinds.

2. I guess, provided every venue will have an amp with an effects loop.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Works for me. I like the SansAmp stuff but have no first-hand experience with the FlyRig.

Riis

4. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    If you just need a straight classic bass tone I think a preamp is a great idea. A small pedalboard would fit in your bag easily.
    I recommend posting your budget and what sound you like to have, then forum members will list numerous options.
    A lot of Preamps emulate the SVT classic sound pretty well.
    I have an MXR m80, an xotic bass RC, and a Hartke bass attack 2. The xotic RC might be worth your time to listen to some youtube samples for SVT tones, but there are many options!

5. Another option would be just about any class D head. They can be run without speakers so can be used as a pre-amp or if you’re unhappy with what is provided in the back line, as a head into whatever cab is there. You end up with two possible solutions rather than the one you have with just a pre-amp.

6. tggorgon

tggorgon

Jan 11, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Well....I have an SVT 2 (non pro) at home, so I'm use to SVT sound. I tend to go for a nice low mid growl with some nice warm oomph under it and then upper mid push for clarity. I always try for a great old school Tom Peterson Cheap Trick tone .
    I have a pedal board with some basics on it. Micro pedals to keep it compact. I use a Peterson strobo stomp (not so micro but was a gift and its a great tuner) then into a Joyo AT drive, giving me that slight amp overdrive I want, then into a TC electronics Vortex (for a couple songs needing that effect) and then lastly into an exotic SP compressor.
    As far as budget.... $500 and under.

7. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I think you have to go youtube shopping, then read up around here for reliability.
    I would check this one out maybe. If you don't need presets there is a basic verson.

8. tggorgon

tggorgon

Jan 11, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Thanks, I shall check into it and start youtubing. Just started thinking about this. So wanted to see what kind of replies and suggestions I get. A good bassplayer friend of mine is leaning this same way with going pre amp pedals and is leaning towards a DEarkglass. But I figured there's gotta be quite a few out there, but I am clueless about em as of now.

Bassbeater likes this.
  9. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    get the sansamp bass DI version2, don't get a preamp without a blend knob

interp likes this.
  10. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    If you go for a class d head..quilter bb800 can't be beat ..it works great with an SVT cab as well.

el jeffe bass likes this.
  11. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    +1 to the Tech21 VT Deluxe.
    I use one of these on all my gigs, fly dates included ... whether I'm providing a rig or it's venue/promoter provided.
    I have even been known to run the VT Deluxe into a Blue Line SVT/Flatback Fridge rig provided by a venue .. it just keeps me in better control of the sound I want out of pretty much any rig.

now, it is a great preamp for this purpose, but if the venue provided amp is total s**t to begin with, it can't do miracles. But you will at least know what's going into the FOH and hopefully you will get decent stage monitoring.

best of luck

Phil508 and BrentSimons like this.
  12. tggorgon

tggorgon

Jan 11, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Exactly what I'm thinkin..... and yes.....I know that if they give you poopie.....you cannot polish a turd but, just like you said, I hopefully have better control of whats being sent to FOH most every gig.

pfschim likes this.
  13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Why even use the amp? Just send the D.I. to the FOH and get some bass in your monitors. If it is a fly-in gig, they have FOH support.

Bassbeater, Strung_Low and MDBass like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use either a Tech 21 VT Deluxe or an Ampeg SCR-DI for that purpose. No, not quite the same as a tuber, but when you get an amp diametrically opposed to your SVT, they sure beat using the amp as is.

15. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I’m a fan of the tech 21 VT deluxe as well. I use it for my church gig as we’re in ears and silent stage. It’s close to the tone of my svt and 810. Small can be run off phantom power and the DI quality is solid.

neal davis likes this.
  16. tggorgon

tggorgon

Jan 11, 2007
    Portland, Or
    5 piece 80's rock. I gotta have an amp behind me thumpin something close to what I like also.
    I did a fly in recently where it was shared gear with the headliner on a big stage. Except the a-hole in charge of the headliner wouldn't let us move said shared gear. They had a completely different configuration. So I had to rely on bass in monitors......sucked ass and felt so wrong.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I sympathize. I've had to do that before. It's customary not to ask the headliner if you can move their gear around, though, especially if it's a name headliner. Usually they get what they want and you have to deal with it. But monitors do suck for bass. I've found that using a pre pedal can be a godsend on those gigs. Still not the same as using an amp, but a whole lot better than a plain vanilla DI into a monitor made to amplify vocals.

TheBear likes this.
  18. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was in your situation a couple of years ago and ended up buying a Noble DI as my main DI/preamp for fly dates, but later bought a Bergantino B Amp as a lightweight amp and alternative for travel shows.

If you can up your budget a bit I’ve seen used Nobles go as low as $500 here or on Reverb. If you don’t mind a straight DI rather than a preamp then the REDDI is a solid choice and can be had for around $500 used.

19. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Tech 21 fly rig?

20. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I went the SansAmp route with great success for many years, more recently adding an OmniCabSim for the HPF and LPF features, but the new DG Alpha·Omega Ultra is on another level.

Being able to upload cab IR's directly to the pedal itself (and some of the included IR's are absolutely phenomenal) makes for true studio quality tones at every gig, and the graphic EQ and blendable dirt circuits are incredibly versatile.

Highly recommended.

NKBassman, hintz and TonyP- like this.