Preamps in the <$400 range

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott D, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, since I just got my PLX 2402, I need a preamp for it. I've seen alot of preamps in this range, and don't know much about them. What I would really like is a Navigator, but those seem to be out of my range. What are good preamps in this price range? I will be using a Cirrus 5, 55-01, through an Eden 4x10.

Scott D.
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    First of all, I would look at used preamps.

Ampeg SVT-IIP preamps can be picked up for around $200 and have the dirty vintage vibe about them.

ART tube channel is a generic instrument preamp. It has a very clean tone with loads of adjustability. These are available used for under $200.

Here is what I use: Boss VF-1 which are available used for around $200. The VF-1 is a multieffects box. I'm quite happy with the sound I get out of it.
  3. Off the top of my head:

BBE Bmax
    SansAmp RBI
    Peavey Max
    Ampeg SVP-Pro or BSP

Go to BassTasters and look around. On the preamp review's pages, they've got MSRP, actual Retail new, and going rates for used. Should be everything you need...even though they haven't reviewed the RBI yet :( .
  4. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Just waiting to get my hands on one - anyone have one they'd be willing to loan for a good cause?
  5. Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I use a 55-01 and a 'Ray 5 through an Ampeg SVP-Pro into Eden cabs and it sounds great! Picked my SVP up for $300 used.
  6. I'll "loan" you mine if you "loan" me the Aguilar DB680 you tasted. ;)
  7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Used SWR Grand Prix (they're discontinued so that's the only option). Great preamp and can be tweaked to taste by changing the single 12AX7 tube.

8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm selling a mint BBE-Max-t for $350.... <10 hours on it.

Recently switched to an intergrated unit so this is up for grabs.
  9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Somebody should grab this. If I had the spare cash, I definitely would.

I suspect from the basstasters clips of the BMax-T that this is a REALLY good preamp.
  10. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd second the BBE BMax. I've broken down my rack systems in favor of the Trace Elliot heads, but I've moved my Bmax to the studio rack and it instantly improved the bass sound.
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    fat, round, smooth, etc... I just got a used Yamaha PB-1 (discontinued but on eBay from time to time). The $99 Presonus mic pre is said to be a good deal for bass too
  12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Rocktron Blue Thunder has seen a few good reviews.