Preamps On A Soundgear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Apr 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i keep hearing "...change the preamps on a Soundgear, it'll sound much better..." where can i find a good preamp and what kind of preamp should i get??? much do those cost? it hard to install one?
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wrong forum.

Though no preamp will make a soundgear a good bass, you should look in to Seymour Duncan STC-3 Preamps (about US$110) or a Bartolini NTMB (US$100-150). 3 band, 18 volt (both). Should you do this, be ready to pay about $50-100 to have someone installed for you. Dont do it yourself.

Again, polishing a turd, imo.
  3. or you could get an outboard pre-amp that wont be too much a hassle to get someone installed. but with outboard it generally wont sound as good as an onboard

also for a soundgear you might want to replace the electronics.
  4. i don't care what anyone says about Soundgears...i love ppl (i.e. Angus...etc.) need to start
    making your own decisions when buying a bass...

you ppl hear "get a Warwick Corvette!" or "get a Musicman!!!"...those ppl are either spoiled or think that getting an expensive bass will make them look or play loser are pretty damn all need some new hobbies besides looking for ppl to "enlighten."

i've got a new hobby for ya...practice...that bass in your room only makes you "look" good...lets see what happens when your friends ask you to play that $2000 Warwick!!!...

we're all bassists...we shouldn't be talking trash about each other or our equipment...because we are all better than each, and ppl like you...keep your negative opinions to yourselves!
  5. KONG

KONG Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Depends what model soundgear you got. I have an 885 and I find the tone to be very exceptional. I wasnt very impressed with the models below that one.

But I have been hearing real good things about the duncan preamp, might swap it with my carvin in the near future.
  6. yeah that's cool...but i tried out an SR-305 DXBX (phat bass boost)...i love the i'm gonna get that...possibly an SR-405...depends on how much money i get...the 305 is approximately $419 bucks at GC...i like the sound...i really don't see the 'big' difference between the Warwick i tried out
  7. Um, no need to flame Angus, he had a valid opinion, I share his view that soundgears lack everything I look for in a bass. And I dont like Warwicks either, so dont go there. My most expensive bass is a $400 MIA P, so dont say Im spoiled, I have paid for all of my basses/amps and the such.

Please, no flaming needed here
  8. you guys started flame on my equipment...i'll flame on yours...simple
  9. so basically, we all have different preferations when it comes to basses...we'll leave it at that, ok
  10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Let me put it simple, you have an opinion. They have an opinion. You asked what everyone thought on the subject. And then you flame them because they respond with an honest response? Realize this. In the world of bass, everything's opinionated.

One last thing, if you want to buy a good sound gear, I have a Red SR800LE that I'm willing to get rid of for $400, maybe a little lower.
    It sells for $550 on and that's not even the Limited Edition model. Only has one small dingy in the bottom (wear it swivels for where it sits on your lap) which isn't even noticable unless you REALLY look for it. It has no belt scratches either... I have a picture of it... And I'll get more if you decide you're interested.

E-mail me if you're interested:
    IM me on AIM/AOL:

I barely played it it's in next to mint condition. I have all the papers, original case, and I'll throw in the case, and DiMarzio strap locks (white).

I bought the bass thinking I might like it, and decided against it after it was too late. I suppose it was a temporary thing for me.
  11. "Where is the love??"

Can`t we all just get along? :)

To each his/her own.I used to think my Ibanez GSR190 was da that I have an Ibanez EDC700 my soundgear sounds like garbage to me.I guess everything is relative.If you play well and are comfortable with a certain make/model then go for it! Price does not a fine bass make.....the best bass is the one you can play(regularly)and be happy with your sound/performance,no?

And for the record I love how Warwicks look and sound but I don`t care for the neck so I could never see myself owning one.

There is always someone/something better and someone/something worse....change is good.

* group hug*

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Always remember this: Opinions are like assh*oles, everyone's got one and most of them stink.

Hategear (Cameronius)
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Hey hategear, remember me? You e-mailed me a while ago about the Peavey Firebass, I suggested you got on here, welcome to TalkBass!
  14. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Not all SR sound bad.
    Even the 30x or 40x series don't. They just lack a little depth.
    The 80x have very tone though.
    But it's all a matter of taste.
    Don't get angry, guys.
    I didn't like most fenders I tried, but I love Stingray and liked my Ibanez. Go figure.
  15. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Well if he want's to waste his $ let him. He'll most likely regret it later once he becomes more educated in the bass market, and what makes a bass "good". From what I've experienced and seen it seems that a sdgr is usually the undereducated buyer (in bass buying anyway) and the newer or beginner bassest's choice of bass. This is usually because they only know about the limited basses on the GC wall, and there are hundreds of other basses out there, so don't limit your bass selection to a GC wall, or you'll be disappointed (unless you get a Warwick, but by the time you get committed enough and have $ to get a Warwick, you know your **** and this doesn't apply to you). Some Fender's aren't bad, but the Fender horse has been ridden so many times, it died, was beaten, was resurrected, died, was beaten to death again, shot repeatedly, burned, buried, turned to soil, grown a new tree, and a better bass was made from the tree that is not currently on/for sale at GC, but this is IMO. Thanks for your time.
  16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Assman, I don't mean to flame you. But I don't think you should post in opinionated topics, you always take things to heart. Basses that are made of different materials get different sounds. Maybe to you it would be a bad sound, but to someone else it might be just what they're looking for. I'm really tired of hearing you being so critical on topics like this, it's really a deplorable trait to have.
    The "Warwick horse" isn't on my list. Does that mean I'm not educated? I've been playing for 4 years and have owned countless fenders. I'm soon going to be purchasing a Reverend Rumblefish XL. Is it wrong of me to get that because it wouldn't be on your short list of basses to get? No.

Read your posts before you click "submit" next time. They get really offensive.
  17. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Don't you think what make a bass "good" is highly subjective ?
    And it's definitely a question of price range AND tastes.
    I've been playing bass for more than 13 years now. I haven't tried as many basses as some guys do here but I don't consider myself a newbie anymore (nor a good bassist, but that's another subject ;) )
    And in the price range of an Ibanez SR800, for example, I haven't play many basses that equals it in terms of comfort and variety of sound ... but that's good for me and I totally understand that can not be for many other people.
  18. I own a SR505 with active pups and preamp, and while I am not unhappy with my current tone I am waiting for my Basslines stuff to arrive, pups and preamp. Tone is a matter of balancing reality ( money ) versus what you think your sound should be. It is an ongoing process for as long as one is a bassist and IMHO making incremental improvements to a less expensive bass is just as valid as spending a ton of money initally.
  19. I'm closing this now since it's gotten messy.
    **Rafterman, if you want to post again on this subject go right ahead - just put it in the "Setup" forum. Thanks.**

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.