Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamps!! Opinions please... :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusty, Jun 1, 2004.

1. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hey guys!! I'm trying to decide what pre to put into my bass... need a little help here :help:
    What are your opinions on these preamps?

- F-bass
    - Demeter
    - U-retro deluxe
    - Sadowsky (with passive tone control)
    - Suhr (does he sell his bass preamps?)

Thanks! :)

2. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Which bass? I have the Demeter in my Nordie and I love it..much more than the Aguilar before. U retro in my JP is really cool too!! I love the F bass pre im the F bass...and I had Suhr in my Benaventes...so Let me know which bass :smug:

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I'm gonna have it in my soon-to-be nordstrand with fat stack pups :D

4. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Depending on the tone you want...I like Carey's single coil pups....they sound more vintage tone to me than the fat stack. If you wanted the fender style "marcus'" tone, you should ask Adrian about F bass pre and fat stack combo. I had fat stack with OBP-3 in another Nordie before...you can ask Carey to boost the frequencies on the highs and lows to get the Marcus thing.

The Demeter will give you more the modern style ala Fodera and Benavente. Carey does not have Suhr pre. I prefer the mid control in the Nordie...either way you'll have a great instrument. Carey will adjust to the tone you want. You'll love it!!

My next Nordie will have the F bass pre, single coil...ash body and bolt on neck!!! Don't know about the top yet :meh: Adrian, are you awake???? :eek:

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    huh? i havent been awake in years, Horace.. you know that! :crying:

i will have Carey put the dual coils in my bass so i can compare with the fat stacks there now-- also, i may try ( dont flame) a Fender preamp- i want to try boost AND cut on this bass to see where that takes me- of course, i can always go back to the way it is now which is perfectly fine, but we bassist dont know how to leave well enough alone...
    not a fan of the Aggie pre - i think people know this.

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I'm suddenly rather glad that it's still a while till work starts on my nordie bcos all these different configurations keep popping up, and they all sound equally good!!
    Oh well... someone really needs to start a nordie thread with their different configs along with soundclips for all of them :D
    All you with nordies around vanselus - you know what to do!!!

Thanks Horace for the input!! I'd love to hear how your beauty sounds :)

7. plankspanker04

plankspanker04 Guest

May 6, 2004
    keller texas
    ive used many pre-amps and i landed on my demeter.been using it for years with great luck.my favorite so far.

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Then I suppose having the dual coils with the demeter will be a killer combo if I wanted a more modern, hi-fi'ish scoopy sounding bass :)

Hmm... now the question would be whether korina is the way to go :D

9. Evan

Evan

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    little offsubject but do you put yoru preamp into your amp correcT?

10. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Er...huh? Could you rephrase that? :confused:

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    For me, it would definitely be the Sadowsky. However, what tone are you after? It all depends, every preamp you mentioned is truly world-class.

12. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I'm torn in between old vintage warmth and goodness vs the more modern hi-fi'ish tone with lots of bite at the bottom :p

At present, I'm leaning towards the Demeter with dual coils... But I suspect that's gonna be subjected to some changes along the way :D

BTW Vanselus - it's long overdue, but thanks for the Read purity clips!! If there's ever gonna be an amp I'm gonna buy, that's gonna be it!!

13. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    When I think vintage warmth and goodness, I most often think 'passive.' Would a passive option coupled with a more hi-fi pre give you the vesatility you're looking for?

J.

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The demeter sure will give you the "modern hi-fi'ish tone with lots of bite at the bottom".

The reason I like the Sadowsky pre so much, is that you can dial in a great modern sound, but when flat, the bass sounds almost passive. Plus, you can get them installed with an active/passive pull knob, so passive tones are a snap.