Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamps + power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Mar 19, 2001.

1. how do these work? i assume that you use them as an alternative to a traditional amp head. do you need a preamp to use a power amp? can you use the sansamp bass DI as a preamp? how would this sound compared to a "regular" amp?

2. Dancehall, a pre amp and a power amp are just a
    regular amp (integrated amp) broken down further.
    All integrated amps have a pre amp and a power amp section within them. The pre amp takes the signal from your bass, and *shapes it* according to
    the tone control settings, then the power amp amplifies it many times and sends then signal to the speakers.

The reason they make "separates" is so you can mix
    and match them; you may prefer the sound of a certain pre amp, but want a much more powerful
    power amp than the same (or different ) manufacturer makes. Also, you usually get lower
    distortion levels with separates, or so they claim.

They also make separates to clean out your wallet
    of all that dirty money.

Mike J.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. so it's basically the preamp that affects your tone, and the power amp doesn't matter? because i've been looking at some powerful power amps that would give me much more wattage for the buck if i can get away with using the sansamp as a preamp.

5. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Would a QSC PLX1202 Poweramp be safe to run with an Ampeg SVT-410HE Cab?

The Poweramp is 200 watts at 8 ohm's, 325 watts at 4 ohm's and 600 watts at 2 ohm's.

And the "normal impedance" of the SVT-410HE is 8 ohm's.

6. To Dancehall, the power amp does effect the tone also, it's just that the preamp is where the tone is "shaped" to the user's liking. Assuming you're using the same preamp, different power amps do color the end tone you get a little bit. How much?
    Again, not to give you a cop out answer: You really
    should try the preamp you're going to use through the power amp. AND the bottom you want to use.
    For my stereo, I have a Gemini preamp, and both an
    S.A.E. ( Society of Audio Engineers ) and an Onkyo power amp. They both sound good, but to me, the S.A.E. has a "cleaner" sound, while the Onkyo sounds a little "warmer."I prefer the S.A.E.

To the guy with the unique name, I'm not familiar with the amp you mentioned, but if it's putting out 200 watts @ 8 ohms, and the SVT-410HE bottom is rated at 8 ohms, The amp will put out 200 watts into that bottom;a good match. I think that bottom is rated at 400 watts, right? If this is the case, a more powerful amp would probably be a better match. It depends on the volume level you need, but you can use that amp with that bottom.

Mike J.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The QSC PLX1202 puts out 200 watts @ 8 ohms per side. If you bridge the amp you would get 650 watts @ 8 ohms, which isn't a bad match for a cab rated at 400 watts.