Preamps Rusty Box vs Sol Invictus (Beta bass preamp clone)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dbass10, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Dbass10

Dbass10

Oct 26, 2007
    Atlanta
    Hey all,
    I am interested in a new pedal preamp and I've looked at the Tronographic Rusty Box and the Hilbish Designs Sol Invictus. I've watched a number of youtube videos for both the rusty box and the beta bass/sol invictus/other and other clones, but it always seems that they are being run into an SVT. I have a Sansamp RBI which can get "close" to SVT but I am really wondering how either of these preamps do on their own. I don't know how many out in talkbass land would even have experience with both preamps, but I was hoping someone might be able to chime in with pros and cons. I know that the Sol Invictus can definitely do the Doomy thing, but how is it at clean and other driven sounds? The tronographic sounds cool in the videos, but what I mostly get from them being switched on and off is that it just seems like "More" of whatever is going through it. I do like that the Sol has channel switching and combining, but it is really useful? I currently play in a progressive rock/psychedelic/metal instrumental group, but I also like to mess around with ambient atmospheric noise, just to give a little background. Anyway, if anyone has any opinions or experience with either or both of these I would appreciate some insight!

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021