Preamps...(Sadowsky and Aguilar)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sheepdog, Mar 17, 2004.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I know there have been numerous posts comparing these, but I noticed something. When I visited, I compared those 2 (outboard versions) being used with a Sadowsky Jazz. Both eqs made the basses sound muddier compared to no eq.

Are there other clips out there that give a better comparison? From the sound of those clips, I would rather go passive.

FWIW, I prefer using Sadowsky PJ instead of the JJ set.
  2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    Sad pre KILLS.

must be poorly recorded, or your monitoring is flawed.

3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I am actually using some pretty good quality altec lansing speakers. Hopefully it isn't the actual pre's fault.

trying to decide (assuming they don't normally sound that way) if I want the aguilar OBP1 since it does boost and cut instead of boost only.
  4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i haven't heard the clips, so i really can't say.

but, i own 3 Sadowskys, the lastest has the vintage tone control, and all i can say is i've never heard a better onboard pre for fretted.

i have a clip of my vintage 4 somewhere.

5. OBP-1 is boost only; OBP-3 is boost and cut and is pretty sweet in my oppinion. If you want to hear what it sounds like in a warmoth bass with Dimarzio Ultra jazz's go here:

(It's me playing BTW)
  6. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    that sounded pretty good. Maybe I will consider the OBP3.
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Sadowsky pre is the way to go. I've had or tried everything else. NO comparison. Easy to use and the bass is oh so tight!!!!!!!

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I like both, the Sadowsky & the OBP-1.

My Sadowsky basses have the pre (except for the RB5 which has the Tokyo pre) & I've built about 4-5 basses with the OBP-1.

IMO, the Sadowsky is much crisper & clearer. The highs are crystal & the lows are thunderous & "clear as a bell".

The OBP-1 is alittle warmer, bassier.

I definitely wouldn't classify either as muddy.
  9. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I had an OBP 1 in a PJ bass with Duncans and I assumed that fat sound was coming from the Aggie. I'm in the process of changing all my onboards to outboards and when I pulled the Aggie, the sound wasn't there, it was in the pups. The Aggie doesn't sound impressive with any of my basses (but I was running it 9v in the bass and haven't changed that aspect - supposed to be 18V in my recollection).

Have yet to pick up an OBP 3 or Sadowsky but they both strike me as being overpriced. For $80 you can pick up either a new or near new Bart NTMB harness off ebay. You can get both Bart preamp and pups for the price of an OBP 3. But I'll eventually pick up one and a Sadowsky just to see for myself - but I'm not paying $130 for one.

I've got the OBP 1, NE-1, EMG BTC, English Reflex (steal of a deal for preamp and active PJs for $30 new), and Bart: NTMB, TCT, XTCT-LZ, NTBT, and an old hot-rodded TCT (extremely toastie with Bart PJs). What I'm finding out in swapping these to outboards is the sound is primarily in your pups. My setup hasn't progressed far enough to start seeing how much is in the bass itself but that's coming. The preamp just boosts the sound from pups and bass and gives you more control onboard. I'm going to all passive pups (except maybe EMGs) so I have that option, with just volume control onboard and direct out jack.

And the more I play passive, the more I like it more than through a preamp. I'm learning a good pup to your liking is all you really need. Them old bastards were right after all.
  10. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    they are both great. I prefer the Sadowsky because it is clearer and doesn't color the tone as much
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i had a Roscoe with an aguilar OBP-1, and tho, many peeps have told me the aguilar guys developed the first sadowsky... yadda, yadda, yadda... i still prefer the Sadowsky by a long shot.

IME, the Sadowsky onboard pre's low end knob is perfectly "Q'ed" and centered on just the right frequency for that tight, punchie, booty rockin' low end. turn it up, and it just gets bolder and bigger, rather than muddier and blanket like that i hear on other preamps.

also, unlike many other systems, the treble knob's actually useful to me. actually adds articulation to my sound, rather than that annoying "clackiness", or harsh ear splitting upper end. realized that the Sadowsky EQ is my sound, and has drove me to use a simple Avalon U5 for my preamp/power amp setup.

after using the sadowsky preamp, you really start to understand why Roger doesnt like using a midrange EQ. why mess with a good thing?

and, no offense to the basstasters' guys (cause Van would prolly virtually kick my butt :meh: ) but, the sadowsky clip doesnt sound nearly as good as it does thru my rig, or thru the numerous recordings i've done with my Sadowsky reverse PJ-5 or JJ-5. ironically, the usually muddy sounding (to my ears), Sansamp BassDI, sounded really good. *shrug*
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I found the Sadowsky to have a lot more highs than the OPB-1 and the bass boosts were similar. Both decent, but pretty expensive. Neither blew my socks off. I will say though that the Sadowsky wasn't in a Sadowsky bass, it was just the pre in another Fender which may be why I didn't like it as much as others who totally rave about it.
  13. I agree. The words "muddy" and "Sadowsky" don't even belong in the same sentence!!!!!!

My Sadowsky pre is the best I've heard to date for a bass.
  14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

ever tried a BTB-01 from E-Pro?

IMO it's a very well engineered and super nice sounding preamp. Clean and powerfull. Sadowsky preamp would be my second best choice. I did not like the Aggies I tried.

15. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I have 3 NY Sadowsky and 1 Tokyo. I also have Fender Jazz with Sadowsky humcancelling pick up and I run thru Sadowsky outboard pre amp, but that Fender soundwise is not as good as the original Sadowsky. I guess it has something to do with the wood , perhaps I am right.
    I tried that outboard preampm with Lakland, F bass ,Warwick and other basses, but I cannot find the sound I like.
    Perhaps that original Sadowsky has got the right ingredient that make the sound 'right'
  16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm. Outboard preamps? Not Basses... maybe Effects? Moved.
  17. Indeed you are very right. The primary tone of an instrument is derived from the wood. A Sadowsky bass and Sadowsky preamp have synergistic effects that are pure ear candy.
  18. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

it was a question of ONBOARD preamps, no outboard preamps. The question did not involve pickups and I didn't consider a preamp an "effect"

thanks anyway
  19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, the preamp "effects" the sound of the bass. :p:D
  20. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I bow before his wisdom and power

Sounds like the Sadowsky PJ w/ preamp is the way to go. I assume the new ones offer the tone knob also.