preamps... what do they do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, May 28, 2001.

1. Can you use them with a combo amp? I asked someone at a music store and they said that it "Hot rods the signal". I just nodded like I knew what that meant and went on with my business... sowhat exactly do they do, and what does it mean to "Hot rod a signal"?
  2. In bass amplification, there are three main parts, the preamp, power amp, and cabinet. Your signal goes to the <bold>preamp</bold>, which adds EQ, effects, and other good stuff, while getting the signal ready to be amplified by the power amp. The wattage coming out of a preamp would not be audible without the <bold>power amp</bold>, which makes it a heckuva lot louder. The wattage then goes into a <bold>cabinet</bold>, which pushes air, making noise. In a combo amp, all these are in the same enclosure. What I do is I plug my bass into my ADA MB-1 preamp, which bypasses the preamp in my combo (a Peavey Basic 112), then I plug the Full Range output of the preamp into the effects return of the Peavey. Hope that helps your question.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Your combo amp already has a preamp in's those little knobs that say things like "bass", "mid", and "treble", etc. It basically bolsters and augments the signal before it's sent to the speakers to boost or cut certain frequencies.

Basically, you already have one.
  4. stupid question - why a pre amp out then on combos? i always just use it for a DI.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    That is meant for using another power amp to go with the pre in your combo. Cool feature when you dig the tone of your combo but it doesn't have enough juice.