Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamps with gain adjustment for pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jock, Jun 6, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is the J-retro the only preamp that you can set the volume for each pickup with trimpots so that two different type of pickups can have the same output when the blendpot is in it´s center detent?
    Why I´m asking is I´d like to have a preamp suitable for a J and a MM pickups. I asume that a MM in series will have a much hotter output than a vintage J-pup.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Lane Poor 2*1 preamp has input gain adjustment, but no EQ. It's out of production now, but you can pick them up sometimes on ebay. I have one sitting round I've been meaning to use for something and never have.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I don't know of any others. You could wire the MM pickup in parallel, or you could pay for a buffer module like the Bartolini MPB-1.

4. i expect you will wire the MM parallel?

you can fit a trim pot between the hot signal from the MM to ground your self wherever is convenient..

if your MM is in the bridge position and wired parallel its apparent output may be pretty close to the jazz neck anyway??

[​IMG]

5. Bartolini AGDB , although it's only a buffer preamp, but you could add a few Bartolini EZQs

AGDB Adjustable Gain Dual Buffer - 9 volt - with adjustable gain trim pots prewired

EZQ parametric filter capable of low pass, band pass or high pass performance with adjustable frequency and Q - 9 volt

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You don't by any chance have wiring diagrams for the EZQ, do you? Not to hijack the thread, but I really need one. (you've got pm)