1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

preamps with NO pots (internal boost)...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassslayer69, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Are there preamps out there that just boost the signal of the passive pickups,without having to have low,mid or treble pots?
    I want to use my pots as volume only, and have NO eq ,but a boosted signal for ALL the pickups.
    If this is possible, who makes these?

2. none that I have seen..

bump

3. EMG PA-2, either in the switch version (hide it in the control cavity) or non-switch version

Up to 20db boost, low impedance output, no tone controls....

Jamie

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Bartolini makes one, they call it a buffer, but I haven't seen it in person. Also it wouldn't be hard to DIY.

5. EMG active pickups themselves have an internal preamp I think. So for example, the EMG J set that I use has an internal preamp in the pickups but then just normal V/V/T passive controls...

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Or the most expensive version, get a audere with no knobs selected.

7. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    We do not boost the signal level...

Someone used to sell cheap boosters on ebay.

8. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    If you just want to boost your signal strength to active levels then simply buy or build a boost pedal. Look up NPN boost pedal for schematics on how to cheaply build one.

9. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Well, not in the boost pedal sense, but certainly in the sense that the signal is boosted from passive levels to active levels, ie. will not be affected by cable capacitance that much?

Sorry if i got it mixed up.

10. Could always look at the schematics for something like the DOD 250.

Very simple effects pedal, but you could easily make it a preamp for your bass, just tweak the values, remove the distortion part of the circuit.

11. It sounds like a boost pedal is your best option.

12. Yeah....I think im just going to grab a booster pedal. (east or aguilar)
    Thanx to all for your great and informative responses!

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    You are mistaking "boosting" with impedance changing. An active device lowers the output impedance, but does not necessarily add any gain.

14. It would be painfully simple to DIY - all you'd need is a little op amp and a few volume pots.

15. An active device almost certainly adds gain. It may add current gain as opposed to voltage gain, but it would be a pretty useless buffer that didn't add any gain.

16. Care to comment on how one would lower output impedance without adding any gain?

17. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Dunlop made a little red colored pedal I used for a while that was just a boost only for passive pickups, both guitar and bass. The only pot was a gain knob. Was just straight, clean gain, worked great! I can't remember the name but it was red and I think it was "Booster" or something like that.

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Impedance is completely and totally unrelated to boosting signal levels. A buffer converts impedance. It may be designed for gain increase, unity gain, or even gain decrease.

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Nonsense- often what you need is a proper impedance match, not higher signal amplitude.