1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Preamps

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Skindie, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Skindie

Skindie

Oct 20, 2013
    Ey up
    Someone recommend in a thread on reggae effects getting a tube preamp pedal, just wondering of anyone has any recommendations on makes/models

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

There's probably sexier stuff flying around, but I use the PBDDI's manual reggae settings and the Zoom reggae patch (without the octave) together. Deep, dark and full ganja-filled bottomness.

3. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    It's a dirty preamp, but the fuzzrocious bdpg can get really dubby, reggae. Thick low-end.

4. Skindie

Skindie

Oct 20, 2013
    Cheers for the advice man, I'll definitely look into the sansamp :) don't suppose there are any slightly cheaper tube preamp pedals anyone can recommend?

5. Bassmike62

My pleasure. I never tried it, but consensus around here is that the Behringer BDI21 cops it pretty good, although I'd prefer going for a used Tech21 unit myself.

Maybe you can achieve a decent reggae tone with just the Zoom unit. It's around 110 $ new and its pretty impressive, I'd say.

6. Skindie

Skindie

Oct 20, 2013
    I got a zoom b2.1u a couple of years ago but haven't used it much just to general fear of multi effects :L I'll have to give it another try now it seems though!

7. Sans amp is good. Dark Glass 3Bk is better.

8. Bassmike62

That opens up a few possibilities. It has an excellent BDDI sim (I bought mine because of my Zoom B1), so there's an option. But my first tries would be either the Sublime patch (A6) or the Dark Side/Octave (D6), but with the fuzz off. I'm pretty sure you could get the tone you want with the pedals you have now.

9. Since you have a Zoom B2.1u there are many possibilities to try.

For Reggae tones i prefer to use either the Bassman or Acoustic models and keeping the cab sim switched on will cut down on the highs. Add to that a little subtle octaver and a touch of very short echo.

The Zoom B2.1u also has a pretty good sim of a clean tube pre that adds a little warmth and roundness,

10. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    I've owned and tried the following preamps.

Rusty Box
    Sansamp VT Deluxe & Para Driver
    B7K
    Tone Hammer

My advice is to get a Sansamp Para Driver. It has a parametric mid range so you can really dial it in. It also has a blend and the EQ is still accessible even when the blend is fully down.