Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

{preamps}

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lefthandbass17, Dec 10, 2003.

1. i am looking for a good preamp for about 300 to 500 dollars. any advice?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There's a Demeter, several SWR Instellar Overdrives, and an Avalon on bassgear.com in your price range..........pretty sweet stuff if you don't have to have factory new gear.

(No, I not connected with the sales in any way. Just trying to help out a fellow St. Louisan - I grew up in Webster Groves).

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    too many variables....

There are plenty of good preamps in that range, it's more a question of what will be good for you - what type of sound are you looking for?

One very helpful resource is http://www.basstasters.com - samples of a lot of different preamps played with different basses.

If you listen there and narrow down the possibilities, come back and search the Amps forum for the models you're interested in. You'll find they've all been discussed at length, with plenty of A vs B comparisons.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Any advice? Yep. Do a search of the archives here, or elsewhere on the net, and then decide for yourself.

5. You can find all sorts of good ones: Peavey Max, SansAmp RBI, Ampeg BSP, that guy up top said Demeter. You could also go with the Behringer V Bass, or the Line 6 Bass Pod.

It all depends on whether you want new/used and are searching for a particular type of sound. Also, what bass and style of music are you playing? What speaker cabinets and power amp are you running?

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    BBE BMax-T (t for tube) is awesome, as is the solid state version.

If you are the ordinary, everyday bass player, you won't regret buying the BBE.

-Mike

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    alembic f1-x and demeter vtbp are one trick ponies but the trick is rather nice... just not a lot of tonal flexibility. just clean tubey goodness!

sansamp rbi is a very warm sounding solid state pre- that can be had for next to nothing used. this is pretty flexible tonally (at least in comparison to the f1-x and vtbp).

as previously stated, a trip on over to basstasters will let you actually hear the differences... some of them even have approximate used prices listed. what kind of music do you play?

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    perhaps an ampeg svp-pro would do you well after looking at your profile... kind of grunty for the faith no more/mr. bungle stuff. classic tube is in there as well for your more vintage influences...

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ampeg SVP pro.

10. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    SWR intersteller overdrive, much better than anything else swr makes.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thank the good Lawdy for Basstasters...

12. is upgrade my rig. Right now all I have is a SWR LA15 and i dont really like it. What i'm trying to do is get a pre-amp, power amp, cabinet setup going and was wondering what preamp to buy. I like to Play slap funky style bass lines like in faith no more and mr. bungle.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

goto www.basstasters.com and listen to the clips of the preamps. find the bass that matches closest to what you use, and you should find something that clicks with you.

but like Biggie and others mentioned, a great place to start would be the Sansamp RBI. does some killer SVT like tones for the crunchy heavie stuff, and also, has an articulate sound for other things. great versatile preamp.

and while you're at it, go ahead and get a QSC PLX power amp to go along with it. guaranteed it'll last you a few rigs.

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I like the Kern preamps a lot.

15. PEAVEY TUBE BASS PRE-AMP PREAMP T. B. RAXX
    is this a good preamp? i can get one for about 100 dollars. is it worth it?

16. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    but i do believe that you get what you pay for and it is hard to compare a $100 (used) preamp to a $400-500 (used) preamp. personally, i'd save a little more and get something a little better. with all the pre's available at a low price used, you don't have to settle for something less than adequate. there are just too many quality choices wiht better tone and flexibility than the peavey. you might consider the peavey $100 wasted... then again, you might love it! who knows?! :confused: :cool:

17. I had an ADA MB-1, tube and ss preamp (bought it used for $200). You can program a patch with distortion, chorus, and the EQ, then set it as, for example, patch 44, then do another one with totally different settings and make it patch 45, then switch between the two (you can make up to 300 or something like that) with a MIDI footpedal. So you can program a sound you like for slapping, then in the middle of the song switch it up for a more fingerstyle tone. I thought it was pretty cool. I think Les Claypool used one.