Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Nov 16, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm looking for a new preamp these days, and am in need of suggestions. i play loud rock music and the tone's i tend to play in very from bright and clangy to low and "dubby." i'm looking for a good preamp that'll gimme the tones i'm after.

p.s.- i had a sabddi that tended to get lost in the mix when used as the preamp into a regular bass head. so please spare me the reccommendations. unless you can defend it well enough to make me believe you.

tonal heroes (the bassists from these bands)- the jesus lizard, the birthday party, shellac, etc.

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    :confused:

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I play a BBE BMax, and love it. However, your needs might dictate a different pre. Do you want clean, or overdrive, or distortion? The BMax is inherently clean, tone-wise. If you are looking for a dirtier tone and can find one, an Ashley BP-41 would probably be good for a rock tone. Billy Sheehan used to use them. Another to look at would be the old Yamaha PB1(?). I think that was the model. Anyway, I used one for a time in a cover band in California, and it did quite well. Every tone I needed was only a short tweak away. You could check out the Ampeg, but I have not been happy with their tone of late. Might just be my ears, your mileage may vary. Check them out with your cab and amp if you can, the Ashley might be found on the Bay, as would the Yamaha. That's my suggestions, anyway. Others will give suggestions too. BTW, I sold my RBI because I didn't like the tone. Others love it.

4. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    yeah
    i think BBMax has a lot of good reviews and commonly use :)

btw
    you want tube or ss preamp?

5. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    i heard
    BBE TMax is cool too :)
    check it out ...

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    demeter 201 black face preamp
    the 201s and hbp are good demeter units too
    hard to get lost in the mix with any one of those

7. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    arent demeter expensive?

8. jim primate

spare the reccommendations of the sabddi

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I've got an Ashdown RPM-1 preamp that I am about to put up for sale. It can get "dubby" and rocky.

check out www.basstasters.com for lots of different preamp samples

10. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    glockenklang bass art classic preamp. I've tried it, i'm playing it, and I love it. Hi-fi and warm... all in 2U unit :p

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    do you want tubes? solid state?
    what's your budget?
    preference for 1 space / 2 space?

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    So is just about everything else. :meh:

13. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Are you going to run this preamp into a poweramp, or into a head (as you did with the BBDI). What head/poweramp and speakers are you using?

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can find used demeter 1 and 1/2 space "blackface" preamps for as little as 350. Why? I have no idea. Some people are nuts. ;)

15. lowb1970

lowb1970 Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Columbia SC
    The Sansamp RBI is great. I use it for all styles of music and have toured with it under difficult circumstances. It's a great piece of gear for the money.
    Check tech21 website for sound samples.

16. jim primate

tube or solid state doesn't matter. quality to affordability ratio is important. my current rig is
    fender p-bass/fender j-bass->traynor ts50b->qsc rmx 1450->2 ampeg 4x10hen's.

soon to be 2 avatar b115's instead of the 4x10's.

17. I use a BBE Bmax and love it. I call it "butter" because it makes all my basses sound good. Check it out.

18. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I really like the Alembic tube preamps, with a good tube like the Telefunken.

As for the Alembic preamps, I prefer the overall simpler circuit of the F-2B over the F-1X. While the F-1X may offer some extra features over the F-2B (like a crossover, DI, effects loop, and deep switch), the only one that is of any use to me is the DI, and I'd much rather just use a separate high quality passive DI like the Radial.

So my vote goes to the Alembic F-2B as one of the best preamps ever made.

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    +1 on the F2-B...but I used to own one, and my BMax is real close to the same tone. REAL close...

20. You said you're looking for a great sound with some dub type sounds. The VT Demeter sounds wonderful but it can't give you that.

That being said, I'd also say your best best is an Alembic pre. They are simple to use, extremely rich in tones, and are capable of HUGE deep bass. Your notes will sound like diamonds. Trust me on this just try one. ;)