Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Willie_the_Pimp, May 4, 2005.

1. Willie_the_Pimp

Apr 19, 2005
    I'm looking for a nice floor mounted bass preamp with a 12ax7 or something. I dont want to spend 300 bucks on a rack mounted one. Why doesnt electro- harmonix tap into the bass effects market. there's so much room to expand on what is offered. I mention EH because theyre the one company that puts preamp tubes in almost every pedal they develop, and they seem pretty innovative. I'm also looking for an overdrive pedal with a 12ax7. I dont want a crappy Boss pedal that sounds tinny and digital. I crave tube warmth. whateva.
  2. Sans Amp Bass Driver??? It's inexpensive, sounds KILLER, and can be used for many applications, preamp, stomp box, DI. etc... If your profile were more complete, we could probably steer you in the right direction...quicker.
  3. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    If you're driving a flat poweramp and flat cabinet (not colored specifically for bass), you may want to look at the $300 Line6 Bass Podxt. While digital, it models a number of tube-amps, and is reportedly quite good.

Where the Podxt generally gets bad reviews is where somebody is using it as a "stomp-box" into a bass-amp/preamp/cab which already has a lot of "coloring" for bass.
  4. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    You may consider the ART Tube Pac. It's a tube based mic/instrument preamp combined with their LA type tube compressor. The pre and comp each have a 12ax7.

It has the exact same preamp and compressor circuits found in the ART Tube Channel that's 'tasted' on (here: The only difference is that the Tube Channel also has an EQ section. Note TB member vanselus' (sp?) positive comment on ("3.11.05
    It was gone for a minute but now it's back - the Epifani Quest 2 - definitely worth a listen. Speaking of worth, you'll be amazed at this sleeper - ART Tube Channel.").

I use one of these in live performance both with and without a SansAmp. I have it mounted on a Raxess device that connects to the top of mic stand-- very handy.
  5. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    +1 on the Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI. Programmable version available, too. But if you came up with the $300, the Ampeg SVTDI looks killer! It has a 12ax7 tube in a pedal format.

Ampeg SVTDI
    Haven't tried one, but hey, it's an Ampeg.
  6. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    fatman fat 1 compressor preamp
  7. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    The SansAmp is great but he seems to want real tubes.

The FatMan and the SVT are both awesome, but a good bit more $$$ than the ART Tube Pac which, for only $99, is a lot of bang for the buck!