1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gear_Junky, Jul 31, 2000.

1. Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    I bought another ART Tube MP and a couple of Levelars (tube compressor) the other day. Then I got overwhelmed with all the wires running on the floor, the MP's clip light wouldn't turn to yellow or red, even though the signal was clipping, so I returned it all and I'll sell my old used Tube MP. I want to build a rack for recording.

Anyway, I noticed this new product: Presonus Blue Tube mic preamp (stereo). Does anybody have experiences with it? I really like the layout - controls and inputs on the front instead of top - you can actually put this in a rack, better readouts and it's only $149 at SamAsh for 2 preamps (in one box).

What do you think?
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I think you have the right name wink.
  3. Try a bass preamp for recording, microphone preamps are ok but you will find more basslike things on a dedicated bass preamp or direct box, not to mention a better electrical match. (thats my 2cents)

4. Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    I'm sorry, I didn't specify that, but I am looking at a versatile mic/instrument preamp rather than just bass preamp. I hav SansAmp Bass DI for that. I know it's offtopic a bit, but I thought that many people here do more than just bass recording. Thanks.
  5. I have a Behringer MIC100 and a MIC200 Tube ULTRAGAIN Preamp that were both purchased as microphone +48V phantom power tube units that were originally meant to be used with my condenser microphones for recording. But I was playing around with them one evening and found that they are far more useful as an overdrive replacement for my stringed instruments. I plugged my Martini Olive Green Ibanez SRX 400 bass in on one end and my solid state Fender Rumble 100 amp on the other. The instant effect was amazing.... I was able to get smooth sounds I always wanted but could never achieve with any of my pedals. Both units use a 12AX7 vacuum tube that provides warmth to my acoustic guitars, & makes my bass guitars sound incredible. They don't turn the amps into screaming tube monsters but with both of my Rumble combo amps 100 & 40 the sound is close as I have heard to tube amp sound with low noise. I purchased both from GC used (one for $29 and the other for $10). I have read that you can upgrade the units with better quality tubes but I like the sound of the original tubes just fine. I may experiment when it's time to replace the tubes but for now "If it aint broke...." Well you know. If you keep your amp volume moderate and the preamp volume low, you crank the gain almost all the way and get that nice tube brake up. If you have speakers that are distorting when you're looking for clean bass just turn on the limiter setting and slap away. It is a starved-plate design, where the tube is not actually running as much juice as a true tube amp and there is only one tube so don't expect a Fender Bass man or a Twin Reverb but the perks are there and make these a true value. I have also used them on my Lap Steels with my Fender Chorus 130 and the sound is best described as buttery goodness.

Just an opinion but I think you could do better but not at this price point.

Hope this was helpful.
  6. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    If the OP was 18 when they asked the question, they’d be 36 now.

Just sayin.

jonlimo, cataract and Daniel Piper like this.
  7. LOL I did not look at the dates on the posts.... But someone may be able to benefit if they were to read my reply... I hope anyway... LOL

Thanks man...

P.S. Nice beard ;-)

P.S.S. Should I copy it and create a new thread?
    smeet likes this.
  8. Holy $7itballs this is an

I don't think I've seen a better one!
  9. I'm so damned jealous that you got to comment first in this thread.
    smeet likes this.
  10. Please don't beat me up..... Jjeeeeezzzzzz...... I just made a rookie mistake.... I blame the childhood of the 60s, over indulgences of the 70s, inebriation of the 80s, workaholism of the 90s, two ended candle burning of the 2000s, and the blindfolded hoop jumping prep for retirement of the 2010s.
    smeet and two fingers like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We don't beat people up. But we make fun of everything and everyone. :D

Informative post by the way.
  12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Hey, at least you used the Search function. LOL.

And....we can note that @Brad Johnson ’s penchant for acerbic responses hasn’t changed a whole lot over the years.:D:thumbsup::cool:
  13. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    For the price I would check out the ART Pro Channel 2, they are 300$ new and 200$ or so used and it's much nicer then the cheaper ART preamps, for one it runs at a higher plate voltage and the v2 models have low/high plate voltage modes.

Just check out these beauties:

Been meaning to sell my ART MPA Gold to try one of these, the MPA gold is solid but it's 2 channels which I don't really need and lacks most of the features of the Pro 2 such as tube compression + semi parametric EQ.

The Pro Channel v1 has optical and tube compression but I think it doesn't have the low/high plate voltage modes like the v2. Also I read it has 3 tubes in it, 1 for the pre the EQ and the compression.
    johnk_10 likes this.
  14. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Daniel Piper likes this.