Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 7, 2002.

1. SWR interstellar overdrive

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. Aguilar-the cheaper one

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Ampeg SVP-Pro

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Other

31 vote(s)
    45.6%
  1. If price weren't an issue, which preamp would you recommend?

2. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've got an Alembic F-1X and it Rocks!!!!!! Got it for 395 off bassgear.com in mint condition. Really hard to beat.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if price wasnt an issue, then why not the more expensive Aguilar, the DB680??? that thing is unfricken-believable. But if price were an issue, then, its hard to beat my Demeter VTBP-201s. killer glassy smooth bass tone.

4. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Avalon VT-737SP Tube Pre/Compressor/EQ. At $2100 it is quite expensive but I'd buy one in a second if I had the dough. I plugged into one a while back in a studio and it was the grestest bass tone I'd ever heard in my life. Absolutely breathtaking. This thing could make the brownest of doo doo shine bright as the sun. I would love to put on of these with a Demeter tube power amp and send it into my Bergantino 3x10 and 2x12.

5. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'm always disappointed at the small number of options available in these polls... not counting those who use heads just for the preamp, and run them through a separate poweramp, you still ought to list:

Both aguilars (db 680 and the cheaper one, I think db-659)
    the direct-box style Aguilar outboard preamp
    both SWR preamps (the IOD and the older Grand Prix)
    Ampeg SVP-PRO and the SVP-BSP (to find out what the difference is, see one of the many other threads on them,)
    Avalon VT-737
    Avalon u5 DI box
    Kern IP-777 (not sure if I got the number right)
    Alembic f1x
    Alembic F2B
    Alembic SF2
    Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI or RBI
    Line 6 bass pod or bass pod pro
    ADA MB-1
    Yamaha PB-1
    Demeter (the old 1.5 rack space one, the newer version which is a little different, and the newer one with parametric EQ that I've heard is "grittier" and more "SVT"-ish)
    Other preamps whose names I can't remember, including Trace Elliot, Peavey, Eden, EBS, Glockenklang, Manley Voxbox (okay, theoretically,) ART Nightbass.

And I'm sure this is just scratching the surface. The Yamaha PB-1 gets my vote, being the only preamp I've been lucky enough to own :D

6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    On the other hand, if price weren't an issue, I'd like a Manley Voxbox (a mic preamp which I guess goes for $5000,) or, to be more conservative, a Glockenklang Bugatti. Also, I forgot to list that old Ashly preamp.

7. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I had the exact same experience as fykozonisz. I've read some comments here from people who's opinions belive I could respect describe the 737 as steril which I took as a very positive description. I have to agree it's the clearest and cleanest I've heard with my gear so far. The scarry part was how much suttle detail actualy comes out of my crusty old Jazz Bass that I've never heard before. I hear the Glockenklang is another must use to belive.

If money were no object then I'd have somthing very simple custom built by David Manley or Nelson Pass. Class A circut with a metered variable input impedence knob, one loop with a bypass switch, master gain knob, two balanced outputs, a third balanced DI out with ground lift, and an outboard overkill power supply that's it.

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    My favorite is the older Demeter and my second choice is the SWR Grand Prix. The single space Aguilar is very nice also. I'm sure there are others that sound good but those are the ones that I've tried and like the best.

Chuck

9. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    How about London Power? Don't know much about 'em, though. Shoot!, Money no object? I'd be like VicDamone and get a custom job from Manley. I'd leave the price tag on it too (or duct-tape the invoice to it)!!!

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Glockenklang Bugatti or Bass Art

[​IMG]

11. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Yeah JMX. this stuff is very interesting. I've yet to see, hear, or play one in the flesh. Have you? I haven't even viewed a decent picture. Have there been any reviews done on their preamps? Are there any balanced outputs? What do they cost where you are? I think they're about $1800 US.

I'm looking for a preamp that doesn't sound like anything, with a wide top to bottom bandwidth. The Avalon does it but in my opinion it's a little over priced. The Aguilar 680 sounded much to colored, flaby, and slow in my setup, definatly not what I would call high fidelity.

12. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I think the Avalon U5 might work as a cheaper alternative to the 737 if you just want an uncolored, direct sound and a balanced DI.

13. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    GolemII Thanks. The U/5 is what got me started on this little quest. The U/5 is a great little unit and I may end up with one. I A/B'd it with the 737 and the 737 sounded slightly better to me but not by much. I've got to hear the Glockenklang and the Raven-Labs Universal preamp before I descide.
    I also require some balanced outs and EQ bypass/defeat.

14. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I just mentioned it in another thread:

Line 6 POD PRO or:
    TLA 5051 mic channel (tube/comp/eq)

15. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I played over the Bass Art and Bugatti preamps.

Amazing hifi preamps, especially if you use the cable line driver.
    There's a stereo balanced DI output.

I couldn't find an English online review, but they're amazing, e.g. the Bugatti is Class-A throughout the whole circuitry.
    Easily the best solid state preamps I've ever played over.
    If you visit the Musikmesse in Frankfurt (the biggest music fair worldwide), you'll notice that 90% of the German bass companies use them as their reference amps.

The Bugatti is 1750 Euro, the Bass Art 999 Euro.

16. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    JMX...Sorry about all the questions. Did you notice any sonic differences between the Bugatti and the Art? They look almost the same I assume there are differences.

17. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They're very, very subtle.

The main (only) difference is that the Bugatti has a very expensive discrete Mid-EQ and the inserts (FX loop) are stereo.
    The Mid-EQ on the Bass Art has a little simpler circuit design, but it's still very high end.
    If you bypass the Mid-EQ, there's no difference in sound.

18. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  19. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    JMX, thanks for all the information. After reading that review I'm stund by the 150% mark up by the LAG. I'm not very well traveled, is this a normal mark up or is it priice gouging? I realise there's duty to be paid and profit to be made.

20. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This works in both directions, just try to buy Aguilar over here :(