Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zyxwfish, Dec 25, 2002.

1. zyxwfish

zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Has any one tried out several diffrent preamps and could recommend one. Like Demeter, aguilar, warwick, eden or any others i'm building a super killer powerfull rig and need a great sounding preamp. I've heard aguilar preamps are much better than eden's preamp how does demeter and other preamps compare?

2. jfiles

jfiles Commercial User

Oct 29, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    VP Sales & Marketing: Bergantino Audio
    Well, they are all good preamps and really sound quite different. Hard to say which one is better - the trick is to find the one that helps you create the sound that you are after. I personally prefer the sound of the Aguilar best, but it is also the most expensive of the ones that you mentioned. I have used Demeter pres for years and these are splendid. So, if you've got a little extra dough look at the Aguilar, if you've only got about $700 or so, definately check out the Demeter (they make two different models of preamps).

Just my $.02 worth.

John

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    What type of sound are you looking for? Sanitary clean with top to bottom response or altered by over driven tubes and or scoopy mids.

Forget about better and best. Of all the preamps available there are only a few that I would concider poor. It's all about what your looking for tone wise or no tone (color).

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm currently using both the Aguilar DB659 and the Demeter 201S. The Ag feeds a Mackie 1401i and the Demeter is paired up with a Stewart World 2.1. They're both good pre's with different sonic characters and somewhat different features. The thing they both share is they're uncomplicated to use. The Aguilar is warmer and the Demeter has more top end transparency. I agree with the other opinions so far, it really depends on the sound you want. That's why I ended up with two rigs so I could pick and choose depending on the gig and bass I'm using. You can't go wrong with the two I'm using, in any case. There are other good ones you can investigate as well.

5. zyxwfish

zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Something that stands out in a band situation like a Primus sound or a Michael Manring sound. Good clean highs brutal punch and good lows but not overpowering lows. I use a frettless and a fretted depending on the song. Right now I have a gallen kruger and a carvin cab there all right but there not cutting it any more because some parts I do are cord tapping and melodie lines at the same time which get really get lost compared to the regular bass parts. I also do lots of soloing which could stand out more. I don't have the option to try any preamps out because the stores by my house don't carry any of these even the guitar center dosen't. I'll just go by what you tell me. I was turned off by the aguilar when I first heard it when John Patitucci was showing off aguilar heads at the guitar villia by my house. He kept saying there where real clean amps but they sounded distorted and farty to me, it might of been the way he had it set up.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, I wouldn't write off the Aguilar based on a demo where the sound wasn't right. Coulda been a lotta things. The DB659 (which I've only had for a short time but have already played through for 8 hours of gigging) is a very good, musical sounding preamp. Plenty of low-end grunt and nice upper register balance and richness.

But based on your description of playing style, etc., I'd say you'd be happier with a Demeter, either the 201S (if you don't need a lot of EQ options) or the HBP-1 if you do. The Kern is also well-thought of in general but I have no first-hand experience with it.

7. Define better:p If you want an Ampeg sound, look at an SVP-Pro. If you want a SWR sound, look at the ISOD (i think) and if you are looking for a box that will give you a lots of different simulated amp and pre-amp sounds, look at a Line6 Pod Pro.

8. zyxwfish,

Go Back to Guitar Villa(in Quakertown) and try the Demeter, Ampeg SVP-pro and the Aguilar preamps through a good cabnet. They have an Epifani 3x10, an AG 4x10 and a few other good cabs. Just take an afternoon and play with them. You'll find a good one. I also think they have an Eden Navigator to try.

I agree, your ears will tell you. BTW I use a Demeter 201 with a Stewart 2.1 and love it but may be a bit Clean for some people.

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Sounds like a great deal of good advise has already been given but I would also check out the Alembic F1-X if you want a good warm sound. Also the Demeter model with the additional 2 parametric bands is the HBP-1.

10. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I think BoogieBass nailed the description of the Demeter and the Aguilar perfectly, I would just add that the Aguilar is very round sounding... I've owned the Alembic F-1X, Demeter, Aguilar, Kern and the Sansamp... The Alembic is very warm and tubey with lots of lows.. The Kern is a cross between the Alembic and the Aguilar and it's the one I currently use.. The Sansamp is terrific and I wish I would have kept mine, especially with the gig I'm doing now.. If you want that SVT tone and something more versatile, you can't go wrong with the RBI and thier pretty inexpensive...

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This man speaks the truth!

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Right you are, bro. Sorry for the misinfo. I posted above.:D

13. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    After many months of research and changing directions, I finally got my Demeter HBP-1. Gave it a good thrashing today through a 1200watt BSS poweramp and into two Wayne Jones cabs. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC:D This preamp works in beautifully with my other gear. I can see that the parametric eq is going to be great in a live setting. It seems to tighten up the sound a bit more and gives plenty of flexibility. But just set flat it sounds awsome. Counldn't be happier with this little baby.:cool:

By the way - its taken me about 18 months to put this rig together. The power amp is borrowed because I'm just flat broke (might get a Stewart or a QSC when funds permit)- but hey, you only live once.:p

try the HBP-1 if you can - you can't go wrong with it.

14. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i don't know which other amps have it, but the ampeg SVP-Pro has a footswitchable graphic EQ witn an overall boost/cut that's great for changing out your sound for certain parts of a song.

IME if you want to do tapping and normal fingerstyle in a band setting, you're either going to have to play fingerstyle with a very light touch, or get some sort of volume boost when you tap. It also helps to scoop the mids during tapping if you want to differentiate your bass and melody lines.

Oh, and it would look to me that the weakest link in your signal chan isn't your head but your cabinet. I've had bad experiences with carvin cabinets, so maybe try out some others while your preamp shopping.

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I bought a Kern preamp a few months ago and I am absolutely in love with it. It is definitely very fat (phat?) and is surprisingly versatile. It can do the old school thing and the modern thing.

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Has anybody been able to check out the new Epiphanies? On their site they show an all tube and a solid state.

17. zyxwfish

zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Go Back to Guitar Villa(in Quakertown) and try the Demeter, Ampeg SVP-pro and the Aguilar preamps through a good cabnet. They have an Epifani 3x10, an AG 4x10 and a few other good cabs. Just take an afternoon and play with them. You'll find a good one. I also think they have an Eden Navigator to try.

I agree, your ears will tell you. BTW I use a Demeter 201 with a Stewart 2.1 and love it but may be a bit Clean for some people.

The quakertown villa has these? I'll try em out.

18. I have only just recently bit the bullet and decided to move from my full Mesa set-up back to a preamp/power amp rig. My Alembic F1-X arrived just before Xmas and I have been giddy like a school girl ever since. I never had a sound like this from my Mesa stuff (ok, maybe my old 400+.) My tone with a QSC PLX is so damnably rich and juicy....wow. I am so f***ing happy I can't stand myself. Really.

19. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Peavey Max + beer.

20. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

:D