Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billdog, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I want a cheap preamp that just gets the right signal power to the poweramp without really flavoring my tone. I've heard vocal preamps work for bass, and that's cool with me. I plan on getting an eq at some point, so that isn't even necessary. The features I would like, if it's possible, are a di out, headphone out, crossover for bi-amping, and maybe tubes, although, I don't mind solid state, my bass sounds good to me through any amp I've played so far. Also, it would be cool if it had more than one input so I could put a mike into it later, but that's definetly not necessary. The most important thing is that it can stand alone w/ a poweramp and cabinet, with no other stuff. As I've said, tone idols range from low-down Jamerson to hi-fi Wooten, to Manring, to uprights. And I take back what I said a while ago about Steve Bailey, I listened to more of his stuff, and his clean tone is wonderful. Thanks people.
  2. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    please don't let me fall off the list!:bawl:
  3. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    You can probably find a cheap used Bass preamp on either or ebay.

I use an ADA MB-1 that I purchased new back in the early 90s. Before that I used a BBE-383. And before that I used an ART Nightbass.
    All 3 had crossovers and compressors. The ADA and ART had Tubes. The ART had tons of Digital effects. I still have all 3 but I only use the ADA.
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    The ART also has plenty of analog effects, which IMO, are much better than the digital ones.
  5. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the help.
  6. yamaha pb-1

Cheers rOdy
  7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm not sure what "cheap" means in respect to preamps. But from the sounds of your wants and desires I immediately thought of the Avalon U5.

It seems to fit all your needs except maybe the two inputs for a microphone. Oh and no it might not work out, afterall. But it's a great preamp/DI.
  8. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I agree with Jerry J. What your getting with the U/5 is a very high quality DI that just happens to be a class A designed preamp with a very good power supply. You owe it to yourself to audition one with your instrument. And if you have a quality set of headphones take them along too.
  9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I second the Yamaha PB-1. Really good preamp and can be had for about $150.
  10. You want cheap? Here goes. Get an ART dual 15 band EQ for about $100 or so. Connect your bass to the 1/4 input of Channel 1. Connect the output of channel 1 to the input of channel 2 and connect the output of channel 2 to your power-amp. Set channel 1 to bi-pass and use channel 2 as your EQ (15 band and clean) use the XLR of channel 1 as your DI to the board. You won't get anykind of tube drive or effects, but, it is about as clean as you can get and doesn't cost much.