Precision '77 or Fender '93

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alla, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Precision '77

54 vote(s)
  2. Jazz '93

18 vote(s)
  1. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Hello fellow!
    Damn i hate to do this but i have to.
    I will get married 28 May (yes 3 month) :) :) :)
    But, as all of you married girls and guys know well, getting married is RREALLY expensive even if one have (almost all) paying parents.
    So one of these basses have to go. Let me explain you the situation:

Precision '77

Pro: light as a feather, basslines pickup, all-you-can-eat tone, to die for sunburst body , it's a PRECISION of 1977 you bastard ;)
    Cons: some buzz due to some high fret (but I can adjust it), one pickup, good for the music that i play, not for the music i'd like to play :eek:

Fender '93 Jazz Bass

Pro: Jazz Bass sound, good for all the music I actually play, di marzio model j pickups, seymour duncan 2-way active/passive electronic
    Cons: it weigths one third more than the precision, it has a sligthly less defined sound (don't ask why ... it's a faith's mistery :bag: )

Consider that I actually play the '70 (Dance and Rock) from KC and the sunshine to Pink Floyd, through Santana, James Brown etc
    For this music the Precision is MORE than PERFECT.
    But i love (i think i can say A LOT) Jaco Marcus Victor and in general the SLAP sound.
    All these guys have (or had :( ) a bridge pickup.

Let me know your opinion please :help:
    Thanks in advance.

p.s. The poll question is: "Which one to keep?"
  2. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Is your poll asking for the one to keep, or the one you're getting rid of? I'd keep the Precision.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Keep the P-bass, you can always get another late model Jazz, and you'll probably find that a bass made after '95 will be better than your '93.
  4. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I voted to keep the precision. Not much of a contest between a '77 P and some 90's J, IMO. Also, like you said, it has the perfect tone for what you play and, I'm assuming, for what makes you some money. The bass has probably already paid its keep. :p

Don't let the lack of a bridge pup keep you from playing what you want. I actually really like the meatier sound that one can get when either slapping a P bass or selecting the neck pup on a Jazz. It won't be wooten or miller-esque, but it sure as heck isn't a bad sound. Also, since you've already modded it a bit, why not get a bridge pup routed into the bridge position? You'd have the best of both worlds. ;)

Lastly and most importantly: Congrats on getting married! Best wishes for a lifetime and beyond of wedded bliss. No, I'm not being sarcastic and I'm truly happy for you.:D One tip: Remember, the best way to get yourself another bass is to either send her shopping with a wad of cash while you go to get the bass, and/or buy her something expensive before you buy the bass.

"Here, darling. Why don't you take $___ and go on a shopping spree? You need to take some time for yourself!"

"Here, I bought you this massive chunk of rock on some sort of metal band so I can go and buy another chunk of wood with metal strings that I ABSOLUTELY NEED!"

P.S. the poll might be skewed because of voters misunderstanding the question....
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have a 73 P and a 1992 Jazz.

I don't have plans to get rid of either, but if'n I had to, the Jazz would be out the door well before the P.

Better tone, better feel, better mojo, lighter, and definitely the P is worth more.
  6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    if you can't slap on a P, you can't slap at all ~_^

j/k, I have a P/J, and when I slap I solo the P pickup because I can get good tone from it, so don't let the 1 pickup thing affect how you play. Keep the precision.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Not knowing if we have to vote for the bass to be kept or for the bass to be sold, I give my opinion here : keep the P.
  8. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Keep both basses and lose the fiance?
  9. mattvon

Jan 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN