1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Precision Am Std Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by XSterling, Mar 1, 2019.

1. XSterling

XSterling

Jul 8, 2012
    Spain
    I have a 2016 Fender Precision Bass American Standard with a raised poles pickups (as you can see in the attached pics). Are this pickups the Custom Shop '60s? Originals? '62?

If someone have the same bass/pickups and have tried the "Pure Vintage 63", can you tell me the differences?

The ones that I have sounds good with flatwounds but sometimes I touch the poles with my fingers and then... annoying noise...

Cheers!

IMG_20190301_192155.jpg
    IMG_20190301_192358.jpg

2. jdaunt

jdaunt

Jun 30, 2016
    Flint
    They are the Fender Custom Shop ‘62 pickup.

3. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    Fender used the CS 60s pickups in the American Standard Precisions for several years and those are the pickups that were in my 2016 P when I bought it new. In fact, starting around 2011-2012 ish (I think) all of their American Standard guitars and basses had some custom shop pickups installed as stock. They changed to the V-Mod pickups when they phased out the American Standard in favor of the American Pro.

4. XSterling

XSterling

Jul 8, 2012
    Spain
    CS'60... '62.... I suppose that they're not the same... So, what's exactly the one that I have? And what differences are between these ones? And '63?
    Have the three models rised poles?

5. Those are not the Original 62 as the don't have the beveled poles. They are indeed the CS 60's. I feel the 63's would be better with roundwounds than flatwounds as they deliver more lows and more low mids. You might get too much of a muddy sound. With flats I would not be alone recommending Seymour Duncans SPB1's.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  6. XSterling

XSterling

Jul 8, 2012
    Spain
    And the sound differences between the CS 60' and CS 62' ?
    I hear good things about Lollar Pickups too... don't know how they sound compared with the others, SD SPB1 included...
    I like the Motown sound... and the lates 60's first 70's country rock woody sound too...

7. XSterling

XSterling

Jul 8, 2012
    Spain
    The pickups that I have sounds good. I've found a nice spot with the tone pot almost open and I like to play with a piece of foam under the strings at the bridge. But when I roll off the tone looking for more dubbie sounds, with more focused fundamental notes, it turns too muddy, like listening a bass underwater.

8. If I recall, the Original 62 is a little more clear and hi-mid pronounced than the CS62 that is a bit more bassy and low-mid. I have an Original '62 on my Am Std PBass. The SPB1 is very close but a bit less hi-mids, very very true to an authentic 60's PBass sound. If you use flats, a pickups with too much lows or low-mids will not feel as punchy and clear in the mix. It will get muddy and disappear in the mix. Never tried the Lollar but I heard they are great vintage style pickups too. I assure you that the SPB1 will do what you want though.
    Leave the eq flat or flat-ish, play near the neck, get a set of LaBella FL760 or GHS Precisions and boom. Motown.

Zoobiedood likes this.