1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Precision and jazz Bass neck comparisons - a realization!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4andnomore, Aug 12, 2012.

1. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    Like MANY of us here. i've spent what is probably an unhealthy amount of energy obsessing over neck profile. I am pretty much a p-bass guy, although I find the old 1-3/4" width necks to be a little unwieldy at times. Similarly, I find that the ultra-slim neck on the Geddy Jazz bass feels a little to confining in my hands.

Anyway, today I played a handful of really well-set-up American Standard basses at the local GS, and while I still had a slight preference for the P-bass, I realized that once I got lost in actual playing the slight difference in neck width really didn't matter all that much - like not at all. Both P's and J's were equally manageable, and "made sense" when considered in the context of the instrument as a whole. I guess the upshot is I can see good (enough) reason for adding a J-bass or two to my P-bass collection. In fact, if could only have one bass I'd still prefer a P but would get by just fine with either. Damn, Leo was a genius.

2. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I'm a big fan of the '70s j necks personally. A little more beef on the profile but still with the slickness of a narrow nut. The necks on Suhr basses are even better.

3. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    Yeah, I was wondering when Fender started slimming them down. You mention the narrow nut. One thing I realized is I don't do much intensive noodling on that part of the neck so, for me it makes little difference one way or another. I absolutely see how it could play a bigger role for other players though.

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I'm with you on that. If all that I'm thinking about is neck profile then yeah I notice big differences. If I'm noticing that while on a gig then my mind is in the wrong place. My basses are as diverse as can be and during the gig it just doesn't occur to me what bass I'm playing unless it's not setup right and getting in my way but I got rid of all of those. :D

5. I've become a big fan of the 1 3/4" P-Bass neck. It took me a couple months to get used to it but after being a J-Bass guy for many years I now love the wider neck of my Fender AV 62 RI P-Bass.